wasps down chimney

For the last 3 Falls we gotten wasps coming down the straight galvanized fireplace chimney and getting around the damper. I'm able to seal the fireplace doors and keep them out of the house but this year I currently have 80 - 100 wasps trapped in the fireplace. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what have they done about it. Does anyone have experience with the product below?
http://www.chimneyballoon.us/chimneyballoon.html

Using the fireplace normally eliminates problems like this. Since you don't use it (apparently), consider a permanent fix, like removal or masonry blocking.
Joe

We use it frequently when it's cold out but haven't used it since last winter. It was 80 degrees here in Chicago today so we decided to pass on a fire.
In wrote:

put some newspaper in and burn it, it won't take much to make them leave
tom wrote:

You're smart that way. My neighbors, not so much.
We have an inversion layer here, and at an hour before sunrise, it's a humid 65F outside. My neighbors, of course, are still burning their fire, or what's left of it, with the resulting emissions filling my house.
Thanks guys.
Jon
On 10/9/2010 4:42 PM, tom wrote:

that took care of them.
Bill

But if the wasps are in the firebox area, as the OP stated, and not just in the chimney, how do you get a fire without opening the glass doors?? Maybe drop the smoke bomb down the chimney???
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:04:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Spray them first?

Have the man of the house open the doors. Clearly it's not a job for those wearing a skirt.
tom wrote:

Put a rodent smoke bomb in the fireplace and shut the door.
--
LSMFT

I used gopher Giant Killer in an empty house with alot of spiders in the basement, you could not go back in for maybe 4 hours without coughing, using it in a chimney would poison the house, figure you wont have a draft since you have no fire, but all the op has to do is make a fire once in awhile.

>>>but all the op has to do is make a fire once in awhile.
I realize a fire would solve my problem in the short term but I'm looking for a permaneht fix. A fire would (does) clear out all the wasps that are in the fireplace but tomorrow they'd be back and will continue to be back till the weather cools off for the rest of this year and apparently every year. Guess I'm not the only one.
http://www.chimneyballoonusa.com/blog/2009/11/help-wasps-are-coming-in-through-my-fireplace-damper.html
tom wrote: ...

Chimney cap w/ screen...
In spewed forth:

ah...yup

Got that intact. Would need some kind of much finer screen that what is standard on caps. I would be concerned about restricting smoke\air flow with too fine a screen. We live adjacent to a protected wildlife area so there's quite a bit of forest debris and leaves blowing around.
On 10/9/2010 4:42 PM, tom wrote:

Is Santa a WASP? 8-)
TDD