wasps down chimney

For the last 3 Falls we gotten wasps coming down the straight galvanized fireplace chimney and getting around the damper. I'm able to seal the fireplace doors and keep them out of the house but this year I currently have 80 - 100 wasps trapped in the fireplace. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what have they done about it. Does anyone have experience with the product below?

tom

Using the fireplace normally eliminates problems like this. Since you don't use it (apparently), consider a permanent fix, like removal or masonry blocking.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

We use it frequently when it's cold out but haven't used it since last winter. It was 80 degrees here in Chicago today so we decided to pass on a fire.

Reply to
tom

put some newspaper in and burn it, it won't take much to make them leave

Reply to
ChairMan

You're smart that way. My neighbors, not so much.

We have an inversion layer here, and at an hour before sunrise, it's a humid

65F outside. My neighbors, of course, are still burning their fire, or what's left of it, with the resulting emissions filling my house.

Thanks guys.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

that took care of them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Put a rodent smoke bomb in the fireplace and shut the door.

Reply to
LSMFT

ming down the straight galvanized

But if the wasps are in the firebox area, as the OP stated, and not just in the chimney, how do you get a fire without opening the glass doors?? Maybe drop the smoke bomb down the chimney???

Reply to
hrhofmann

I used gopher Giant Killer in an empty house with alot of spiders in the basement, you could not go back in for maybe 4 hours without coughing, using it in a chimney would poison the house, figure you wont have a draft since you have no fire, but all the op has to do is make a fire once in awhile.

Reply to
ransley

down the straight galvanized

Spray them first?

Reply to
krw

I realize a fire would solve my problem in the short term but I'm looking for a permaneht fix. A fire would (does) clear out all the wasps that are in the fireplace but tomorrow they'd be back and will continue to be back till the weather cools off for the rest of this year and apparently every year. Guess I'm not the only one.

tom

tom wrote: ...

Chimney cap w/ screen...

--

Reply to
dpb

Have the man of the house open the doors. Clearly it's not a job for those wearing a skirt.

Reply to
Linksy

Is Santa a WASP? 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

ah...yup

Reply to
ChairMan

Got that intact. Would need some kind of much finer screen that what is standard on caps. I would be concerned about restricting smoke\air flow with too fine a screen. We live adjacent to a protected wildlife area so there's quite a bit of forest debris and leaves blowing around.

Reply to
tom