Washing machine repair question

I'm not 100% sure this is the right newsgroup, but...
I've got a problem with my washing machine. After a week or so of running it with the front panel off to visualize what's going on, here's what I've found. The motor comes on as it should during the spin cycle. However, periodically, though not every time, the motor pulley will spin, but just slips around the belt. If I manually move the belt, and all the connected pulleys, then turn it back on, it works for a few loads until it starts slipping around the belt again.
This explains why the thing smells of rubber when it fails. But the belt is intact. What would cause it to slip at the motor pulley?
Thanks

The belt is loose, or something else is freezing up - probably the pump.
Bob
The belt is sufficiently tight and I can move the pump/belt fairly easy with my hand.
I'll replace the belt and see.
Thanks
Bob F wrote:

You could have a rock in the pump that periodically locks it up.
Bob

works
the belt is supposed to slip some when all is right... but if that belts worn ten you can get that problem. be sure to get the right belt replacement or your machine may set a new spin record speed. lucas