Washing machine belt

Do I need a new belt?
I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked better.
But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.
Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 03:09:26 -0400, Micky

Could be glazed as you said, or it could be stretched beyond what can be adjusted, or both. I'd try a new belt. If that does not work, it may be time for a new machine if this one is over 10 years or so.
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 5:02:39 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The alloy pulleys wear also...and then the belt "bottoms" on the hub. A new belt should be flush with the diameter of the pulley. I should be an OEM belt...
On 4/27/2016 3:09 AM, Micky wrote:

Sounds like a good place to start.
On my very old Whirlpool machine, I have to take a pry bar behind the motor, and then tighten the bolt with a box wrench.
As with the old automotive belts, you may need to tighten it again after several loads.
Replacing the belt is a PIA, can't remember why. There is some mechanism that doesn't want to let the old belt out, or the new one in. I'd have to go back and look, but it was a bit of work.
I hope it works out better for you than for me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On the old wig wag machines the belt is captive but one of the bolts has a spacer that you take out to remove he belt. You also have to remove the wires on the wig wag.
This machine is really more like 30+ years old.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 11:13:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Thanks.

37. Only problem is the belt is slipping.
The matching dryer, I still have not fixed. Can't fix it from the front. Have to go behind it and it's stuffed in the corner.
When I pull the washer out to work on it, I'll work on the dryer.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:06:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon

I used a 60's GM jack handle for a pry bar.

Right. That's why I was avoiding it. Have to lower something. I don't remember either.

Me too.