Washer - Whirlpool vs Kenmore

Page 2 of 2
I find that the advice on laundry machines that one can find in Consumer Reports is extrememly dubious, as if they never consult appliance experts at all. I was surprised that they rated the Calypso washers so highly, all the way to the bitter end. And with model numbers changing as fast as fashion (maybe 10 times a year, in seasons), the information you can find there is already outdated when you crack open the magazine. I've never figured out how a model that is available for only 6 weeks can rate an entry in Consumer Reports. And I've never figured out how a pure-branded item and a brand engineered item can have different ratings in the magazine, despite being the exact same machine.
Another dubious value is buying at "scratch and dent" stores. You will never know the history of any one machine, despite the salesman's insistance that it has never been used and just came out of the box. If you buy there, you will, in essence, be assuming someone else's nightmare.
The best way to buy a machine is by selecting a platform, and then buying the cheapest model with the capacity you need. All manufacturers build their models on basic platforms. For the most part, all Kenmore and Whirlpool top load washers are built on the direct drive platform. All Maytag models are built on just one platform, and same for GE and Frigidaire. Choose the platform with the best durability, and then choose within that platform for the best value.
Phisherman wrote:

I think that a lot of items are scratched or dented simply because Sears stores use hand carts that scrape bare metal against the products. So if you plan on buyng an open box item, bring along some cardboard or a towel, and insist that Sears cover the product with it before they haul it.
Most items at outlets are returns from other customers, not scratched or dented as most people think. If you compare prices, though, you will find that they are pretty much the same as brand new items.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

But the way they handle arge returned items in the stores here, items that were cosmetically perfect become scratched and dented.

I just bought an LG Dishwasher ($799 at Home Depot) at an ApplianceSmart outlet for $599 as a "scratch and dent". The "dents" were so subtle that you have to be standing in specific light looking from a specific angle or you'd never see them. You can be right in front of the unit and feel up and down and you'd never notice. I'm kind of picky, but for $200 off that was fine by me.
The thing cleans like a dream, by the way, and it's stainless in and out...
-Tim
aspasia wrote:

Whirlpool ranks a tad better according to CR...but it depends on the model.