Washable spray paint, powder, or chalk?

I would like to find some type of paint or chalk or powder or something that I can use on a practice mat (and even on grass) to show me exactly where the sole of my golf club is making contact.

I am trying to get a mark more or less like what I get when I hit out of sand. After a sand shot, there is a "divot" or mark in the sand that shows exactly where the club first made contact, about how deep it went, whether it was straight, and where it left the sand. The image isn't perfect because the sand doesn't stay put, but it's pretty good.

I have a practice mat at home. I've tried various materials on the mat, but none of them are quite right.

Flour worked the best. I sprinkle a little flour on the mat leaving a white area about 12-15 inches long and 4-5 inches wide. I place the ball in the middle of the flour and hit away. The club takes out the flour leaving a pretty good mark. The main problem with this is that it's messy. The flour settles down into the pile of the mat and builds up. When I go to put the mat away, it leaks flour all over the place.

I also tried coarser stuff like potato flakes, but all were messy in one way or another. The flour left the best mark.

I bought a can of marking paint called Precision Line by Rustoleum. It's water-based and says it's for use on pavement and grass. The first time I tried it, I got to close and moved too slowly. I got a think mess, but it did wash off fairly well with water while it was still wet. After I got the hang of it, I was able to lay down a light coat, which worked pretty well. The main problem with this is that it gets on the club and the balls and does not completely wash off the mat.

Can anyone suggest a spray paint or a spray powder that might work better than these? I'd prefer a powder to a paint. Is there a spray powder that is just slightly sticky so that it would stick to the top of the mat fibers and not settle down into the pile?

Another idea I had was to build a sand box to hit out of. The sand would need to come right to the edge and I'd need another platform to stand on. It would also be messy.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

you can get sprays with flour in them. try the baking section of the grocery.

Reply to
charlie

This should do it.

comes out slightly yet but dries in less than 1 minute.

As an aside it is also useful for trying to pinpoint leaks on cars.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

*The only powder that I can recall right now in an aerosol can is foot powder. Maybe you can practice barefoot.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Blue chalk line chalk powder can be had by the pound or less. Made to wash off easily. Red chalk powder is permanent, so avoid that.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

heh-heh. Killing 2 birds with one stone?

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

These guys have 4 colors, but I don't see where it says washable or permanent:

This company has 10 colors. What's the difference between dustless and regular chalk? They also have Talc Powder. Is that different from talcum powder? Probably no added scent! ;-)

They also sell railroad chalk and carpenter's chalk, which appear to be the same thing. If I can just rub it on the surface, this might be the best solution.

Prof Wonmug