Warning Crystal Radio

Page 2 of 2
Lil Abner wrote the following:

Do not open any message where the header is all CAPS. Just mark them read. If you sort the messages in this group by size, you will see that the largest are all CAPS and are spam.. Too bad that my newsreader cannot filter messages that have all CAPS in the headers.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.........
I've been messing with computers for 30 years, building, repairing, writing programs. I have NEVER had a virus. I don't run any anti-virus software either. I thought I had a virus once, turned out to be a bad CD-rom.
It seems to me that most problems are NOT viruses as many think, but the operator or a hardware problem.
Computer hard drives are not perfect, they can corrupt files, not necessarily a virus.
I'm not saying there isn't any viral programs out there, All I'm saying is they're not as common as one thinks. Knowing what to do and what not to do is the real answer.
Hank
On 12/26/2010 8:56 AM Hank spake thus:

You say you have no antivirus software, and I believe you, but certainly you have a firewall, yes? Because without that, you're definitely going to get infected by malware that arrives over the Internet. I know because my firewall (Sygate, freeware) warns me all the time about various intrusions into my computer, ranging from relatively benign port scans all the way up to malicious attempts to rewrite Windoze system files (which all get refused). So it's not just a matter of not clicking on things, which makes your argument that it's all a matter of operator fault not so convincing.
You need protection. It's a dangerous world out there.

You are correct. I do have a firewall. Only because it came with Windows. I have never owned a Mac.
I keep all my important files on a separate computer and only use this one for internet. They are not linked in anyway. I transfer files manually using a pen drive. Yeah, I know its old school. :-)
Hank

But do you only transfer files one direction, and scan and reformat the pen drive between uses? Air gaps only work when nothing is carried from the untrusted system back to the trusted system. Because of a little oopsie over in the sandbox, I can't use pen drives or burn portable CDs at work any more.
-- aem sends...

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.........
I've been messing with computers for 30 years, building, repairing, writing programs. I have NEVER had a virus. I don't run any anti-virus software either. I thought I had a virus once, turned out to be a bad CD-rom.
It seems to me that most problems are NOT viruses as many think, but the operator or a hardware problem.
Computer hard drives are not perfect, they can corrupt files, not necessarily a virus.
I'm not saying there isn't any viral programs out there, All I'm saying is they're not as common as one thinks. Knowing what to do and what not to do is the real answer.
Hank --------------------------reply-------------------------- A lot of it depends on the sites or links you visit.
But then you may be a Mac user. No one wastes their time writing viruses for such a small installed base.
I have a hunch that Apple is about to achieve some level of interest with the iPhone. Viruses for those will be the news next year.
Colbyt
Hank wrote:

Your personal experiences can not be extrapolated to the general world. Tens of millions of computers belong to various bot-nets, mostly unknown to their owners. ALL thes bot-net computers were established via a virus. Millions of other computers have in place stealth programs to harvest credit card and other personal information.
It's a jungle out there.