Wanted: Any Smoke Alarms/Detectors.

I am looking for any older smoke alarms and or smoke detectors. I have a collection of 161 units (no I am not planning on building a nuke or irradiating myself)

Reply to
Nathaniel Lind

Whereas On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 03:55:02 GMT, "Nathaniel Lind" scribbled: , I thus relpy:

Are there any particualr types or vintages you are looking for, or do not want to consider? Are you collecting them for the sake of collecting them, or for particular components?

Where abouts are you, and would the components inside (namely the Americum), cause shipping/border hassles?)

Reply to
Gary Tait

I can't help but dwell on that Reader's Digest story I read a while back, about the young man who was playing with the Americium-241 from smoke detectors in an attempt to create a fissionable mass. He didn't turn his mother's garage into a crater, but he did manage to get her yard added to the EPA Superfund cleanup list. Hmmm...

Jim

Reply to
R. J. Baker, N9PEK

Reply to
Nathaniel Lind

The Honewell TC89B is the subject of a recall. So, my guess is that Nathaniel Lind might be requesting these units so that he can return them for a free replacement.

The whole thing seems mighty fishy to me.

KSL

Reply to
Ken Lipworth

Reply to
Nathaniel Lind

I suppose it is possible that someone may want to collect samples of every smoke detector ever made.

For some interesting examples of weird things that people collect see:

and

KSL

Reply to
KSL

People collected matchbooks for years without burning their houses down so maybe Natemeister just has a thing for smoke detectors. NOT

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot