Want to make fire pit - will any old brick do?

Page 2 of 2
bryan wrote:

Any old brick is fine. It will crack some but who cares.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I've seen people use an old metal truck tire rim for a fire pit. Works very nicely. Steel ones last several years. Magnesium doesn't last as long.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

But it is much easier to get the wood lit if you use magnesium.
--
If youΉre going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you

Think about it have you ever seen a fireplace with the same brick on the inside as used on the outside? They don't do that because the firebricks are cheaper or because they look better. They do that because it gets really hot and the firebricks will last.
If you plan on using it a lot and want it to last then line it with firebrick. If you only plan on using it a couple of time a year and don't mind replacing it soon then just use any old brick. Or just use stones. If you want to make a nice one here are a couple of plans from HGTV.
http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/build-a-fire-pit/index.html
http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/installing-a-fire-pit/pictures/index.html
Add pictures here
βœ–

I know that if you heat a regular brick with a torch as in trying to burn paint off of it, the darn things tend to explode.
Does anyone know for sure if this could happen in a firepit?
Colbyt
Add pictures here
βœ–

I used regular brick. I had a fire going for over a day. The bricks started exploding, with several bricks raining down on my neighbors house & vehicles. The old guy came out because he thought it was hailing, he got beaned on the head. The EMS transported him to the hospital, he had a concussion.
So no, I wouldn't use any brick.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Was he the guy whose wife found a harmless green garden snake in the house? Sure sounds like it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus