Want to make fire pit - will any old brick do?

Page 1 of 2
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.
So I will use brick.
Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work since it's been in a kiln?

Fire brick and fire rated mortar for all fire contact areas.

Use any brick for the outside and line the inside and bottom with firebrick.

Think about it... why would such a thing as firebrick even exist, if "any old brick" would do?
To answer your question: No, not all brick is suitable. If it's going to be in contact with fire, you need firebrick. Unless you don't care if it only lasts a couple of seasons...
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:04:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That sounds good, even like something I would say in response to the OP, until someone else (you) said it and my usual suspicion and combativeness took hold. Then I could immediately think of reasons.
It would exist so they could charge more money, so builders could impress customers.
Or maybe they don't exist and they just make the same bricks, with a different pattern, and call it firebrick, so they can charge more money for it.
I'm sure someone can think of more.

Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire pressure gage" for $2.99.
Might be the same concept.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Then again, reality is it isn't...
Fire brick is a different animal, indeed, from building brick.
http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/brick_primer.html

dpb wrote:

When I was a kid, my father brought home some insulating fire brick from the steel mill. The things were as light as foam and the same size and shape as a regular brick. I had loads of fun pretending the bricks were heavy and throwing them at various people. Of course the light bricks would simply bounce off like "Nerf Bricks". I have also had loads of fun with the empty plastic display cases for automotive batteries. The empty case is very light, but when tossed at someone, produces quite a reaction. What a way to punk someone. Interestingly enough, the prank won't work as well on someone who has no knowledge of those "real" items for obvious reasons. It's a case of ignorance working in their favor, darn it.
TDD

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would account for the higher price.

Right.
The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style tires.

Everyone knows to put nitrogen in the new style tires. Just do not mix the nitrogen and regular air. The added oxygen might cause an explosion :-) There should be a warning sign posted at the fill it yourself air stations.
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:24:58 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

I took all the air out of the front tires and put it in the back. Then I put nothing but nitrogen in the front tires.

You mean the stores don't have radial air compressors, yet? We're all going to die!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
mm wrote:

Sure but there is proven science in this case.

I wasn't suggesting that one didn't need firebrick. He absolutely does.
I was saying that the argument, "Why would there even exist firebrick if we didn't need firebrick?" is not as good as it sounds at first.
And I wasn't just being gracious: It's exactly the kind of argument I would often suggest.

If you'd ever held a firebrick in your hand, you wouldn't imagine for a moment that it's the same brick with a different name.
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 21:29:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

That's because it IS a different kind of brick. But if it were the same brick, just marketed to people as firebrick, in order to charge more money, then it might well weigh the same.
I wasn't talking about the bricks but about the argument.
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:04:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

For lining enclosed ovens where temperatures may rise high enough to harm standard bricks.

A typical fire in a typical fire pit will not subject the bricks to enough heat to be of any great concern.
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 16:32:20 -0700 (PDT), bryan

Clay brick may spall on you, perhaps even pop chunks off. I do have an outdoor fire pit made with concrete pavers that is doing fine. I am still careful to bring the heat up slowly to boil out any moisture that may have accumulated in them