Want to make fire pit - will any old brick do?

I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work since it's been in a kiln?

Reply to
bryan

Fire brick and fire rated mortar for all fire contact areas.

Reply to
Colbyt

Use any brick for the outside and line the inside and bottom with firebrick.

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

Think about it... why would such a thing as firebrick even exist, if "any old brick" would do?

To answer your question: No, not all brick is suitable. If it's going to be in contact with fire, you need firebrick. Unless you don't care if it only lasts a couple of seasons...

Reply to
Doug Miller

That sounds good, even like something I would say in response to the OP, until someone else (you) said it and my usual suspicion and combativeness took hold. Then I could immediately think of reasons.

It would exist so they could charge more money, so builders could impress customers.

Or maybe they don't exist and they just make the same bricks, with a different pattern, and call it firebrick, so they can charge more money for it.

I'm sure someone can think of more.

Reply to
mm

Clay brick may spall on you, perhaps even pop chunks off. I do have an outdoor fire pit made with concrete pavers that is doing fine. I am still careful to bring the heat up slowly to boil out any moisture that may have accumulated in them

Reply to
gfretwell

Any old brick is fine. It will crack some but who cares.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've seen people use an old metal truck tire rim for a fire pit. Works very nicely. Steel ones last several years. Magnesium doesn't last as long.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then again, reality is it isn't...

Fire brick is a different animal, indeed, from building brick.

dpb

But it is much easier to get the wood lit if you use magnesium.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Think about it have you ever seen a fireplace with the same brick on the inside as used on the outside? They don't do that because the firebricks are cheaper or because they look better. They do that because it gets really hot and the firebricks will last.

If you plan on using it a lot and want it to last then line it with firebrick. If you only plan on using it a couple of time a year and don't mind replacing it soon then just use any old brick. Or just use stones. If you want to make a nice one here are a couple of plans from HGTV.

jimmyDahGeek

When I was a kid, my father brought home some insulating fire brick from the steel mill. The things were as light as foam and the same size and shape as a regular brick. I had loads of fun pretending the bricks were heavy and throwing them at various people. Of course the light bricks would simply bounce off like "Nerf Bricks". I have also had loads of fun with the empty plastic display cases for automotive batteries. The empty case is very light, but when tossed at someone, produces quite a reaction. What a way to punk someone. Interestingly enough, the prank won't work as well on someone who has no knowledge of those "real" items for obvious reasons. It's a case of ignorance working in their favor, darn it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would account for the higher price.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know that if you heat a regular brick with a torch as in trying to burn paint off of it, the darn things tend to explode.

Does anyone know for sure if this could happen in a firepit?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Sure but there is proven science in this case.

Reply to
George

I wasn't suggesting that one didn't need firebrick. He absolutely does.

I was saying that the argument, "Why would there even exist firebrick if we didn't need firebrick?" is not as good as it sounds at first.

And I wasn't just being gracious: It's exactly the kind of argument I would often suggest.

Reply to
mm

Right.

The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style tires.

Reply to
mm

I used regular brick. I had a fire going for over a day. The bricks started exploding, with several bricks raining down on my neighbors house & vehicles. The old guy came out because he thought it was hailing, he got beaned on the head. The EMS transported him to the hospital, he had a concussion.

So no, I wouldn't use any brick.

Reply to
Tooling Around

If you'd ever held a firebrick in your hand, you wouldn't imagine for a moment that it's the same brick with a different name.

Reply to
Doug Miller