Wandering Toilet

I'm trying to decide whether I should attempt to repair my mother's wandering toilet. This is a What's the Worst That Could Happen question, because obviously the problem SEEMS to be a missing or broken bolt. But at least the head of the bolt on the wandering side is in place.
Last winter, after finding a constantly dripping flexi-pipe to the toilet, I removed all the 4" x 4" floor tile the toilet sits on. The tile had become cracked, there was no grout, and the subflooring was moldy (it still is black, but that's another post topic).
Could the wandering come from the fact that I did not remove the few tiles the toilet sits on? If the bolts were appropriately fitted to the floor, wouldn't that keep the toilet from "wandering off?" (Maybe it's getting senile, like me!)
Under the toilet, there is a flange, which should have two bolts through it and attached to the toilet. If you are missing one, you can get a replacement from a plumbing supply. You must lift the toilet to slip the bolt into the flange. HTH

RBM wrote:

Get a new wax ring while you are at the store. You need to replace the current one when you rest the toilet.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It\'s Irish Math
On 3 Apr 2005 06:21:16 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com"

Sounds to me like your mother is full of shit and needs to go on a diet.