wallpaper prep

We have some wooden shelves that were painted with latex, that we put sticky plastic shelf paper over. Now we want to put wallpaper on it instead. So we peeled off the sticky stuff, but the glue has remained on the shelf. I used Goo Gone, but after 2 applications still tacky.
Can I just paint some wallpaper primer on? the local hardware store doen't have any and the clerk said Alkyd primer is OK - should I make a trip to a big box store instead? thanks
Tippi wrote:

Sure the Goo Gone didn't soften that latex and make it tacky?
I don't see any problem with using an oil-base primer.
I was able to remove all the gunk with TSP, steel wool, and elbow grease. Also I checked a wallpaper store and they have the SHIELDZ primer, so I'm done.