Wallpaper adhesive off?

My wife and I bought a home that had wallpaper in the kitchen. We were pleased when we discovered it peeled right off. However, there is a hard, glue/adhesive left on the wall that is impervious to all sorts of chemicals, including Dif. I can't scrape it off either.
I suppose we could cook the stuff off with a steamer, but we're trying to avoid that big mess. Any ideas for us? We don't want to have to put new wallpaper up!!
-- x-no-archive: yes
Dave
You could sand it off... No fun, but at least you'd be done with it forever.

chemicals,
If you're going to paint...retexture over the glue. Beats sanding and it isn't difficult.

chemicals,