Wall Switch for Air Compressor

I want to install a dedicated outlet for my garage air compressor. I want to put a switch near it, because half the time I unplug it and the cord falls behind the workbench. I dont leave it turned on because all compressors tend to leak a little and just waste electricity.

My question is can I use a standard light switch or do I need something heavier duty? The motor is a 1HP. It now gets plugged into an outlet on a 20A breaker. It dims the lights a little when it starts but has only blown the breaker when I run a power saw at the same time the compressor starts.

I dont want to use a breaker in the box to turn it on and off, because that box tends to be hard to get to when I have a car in the garage. However the thought of a separate small box with a breaker above the compressor comes to mind, but only if I cant use a light switch or similar device. I also have several of those old single fuse boxes laying around that have a lever on the side. I'd likely bypass the fuse (since it's already on a breaker), and just use that lever.

Reply to
tobasco

Replace the present outlet with these perhaps.

Boden

Get a 20 amp single pole switch. It should be rated for 1 HP

Reply to
RBM

Fix your leaks and leave it on. That's what I did. You can also disconnect leaky things like hose reels with quick disconnect hoses. If your water drain is leaking, remove the valve and clean the o-ring, they get rust particles on them causing leaks. Spray Windex on all tank fittings, you may find one or two bubbling. Remove them and put teflon tape on the threads and replace them. Same with the hose ends and any other air plumbing you have. No excuse for leaks. When I really really have to turn off the compressor (like to fix leaks) I use either the red button on the compressor or unplug it.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I have exactly the set up you describe. I used a standard receptacle and standard switch, and it has worked fine for seven years. I have the compressor under a bench, and mounted the switch out of sight under the bench. The switch is out of the way, and no one will turn it on by accident.

BTW, I also have my bench mounted electrical tools/equipment (grinder, bench sander, etc) switched the same way with the switches hidden under the bench. I feel this is a safety factor if someone is visiting who has kids who might try to turn on a tool. I generally leave the tool switch in the on position and just use the under the bench switch.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

I agree.

Some switches have a HP rating.

The common "AC general-use snap switches are tested ... for motor loads up to 80% of the amp rating of the switch, but not exceeding 2 hp."

Reply to
bud--