wall insulation...

Hello,

I had posted this in alt.building.construction but I only got one responce...

I'm in the process of building a new house here in the Atlantic part of Canada. I'm looking at 3 way's of doing it:

First:

2x6(on 16" center) lumber, 7/16 Aspenite OSB with R-20x15 bat insulation

Second:

2x6(on 24" center) lumber, 7/16 Aspenite OSB with R-20x23 bat insulation

Third:

2x4(on 16" center) lumber, 2" expanded polystyrene(R-8) with R-12x15 bat insulation and wind brace

Most of the houses around here are done like the fist one. There are also a few contractors doing:

2x6(on 16" center) lumber, 1" 1/2 extruded polystyrene (R-7.5) with R-20x15 bat insulation.

I'm king off looking at option 3 because it is the less expansive way and it seem to make more sense. It has the same R value of the fist one but you have extra "protection" on the studs (no thermal transfer, or less since you have a R-8 value covering it).

What are your points on this?

ThanksCh ristian

Reply to
Christian

Consider a higher R foamboard R 7.2" foilfaced, Your total R values are far from optimal if cost is not the issue. Consider sprayed in foam for highest R

Reply to
m Ransley

You can't do 24" o/c for ext stud walls per code. Seriously consider Exyterior Synthetic Stucco, goto www. durabond.com and read up on it. This finish is growing in leaps and bounds because of insulation value and durability of finish. BTW you can't apply synthetic stucco over blue board.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

On what planet ?

Reply to
Rudy

y "ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:19spe.7839$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

yep the code allows it here... :c)

Christian

Reply to
Christian

So I'm curious... about a related construction practice. What about staggered 2x4... What is the typical spacing-- 16"? Would you use a 6 or 8 inch top/sill plate? (if i have terminology correct)

You'll have less thermal bridging, and more room for insulation. Have you considered that?

(contractors: Is this practice done much these days? What about fire blocking?)

also consider spray foam or wet pack cellulose. I think cellulose is R4/inch. you'd have around R24 with the 6 inch space.

Foam is aroun R7/inch.

is the only place i know that does DIY foam... always looking for other sources though)

Just a thougt. ( or two...)

Reply to
Philip Lewis