Walking on the roof

What's the best way to walk on a residential roof, without damaging the sheathing or tiles?
I assume you'd want your steps to fall on the trusses...? But how do you determine where the trusses are, since they're buried by the sheathing and tiles?
The large oaks on my property ensure that I'm up there, cleaning the gutters, 3 or 4 times each year.
I've been lucky so far, but I bet one of these days my foot is going to wind up inside the attic.
And no, I can't afford leafless gutters at this time ;->
Best Regards,
Tim =
If walking on the sheathing between the trusses causes damage, you have a roof with real problems. You do want to use soft soled shoes for better grip and less damage. You can't prevent all damage, so stay off if possible. Also people do fall off and you can't do that if you don't get up there.
If you can try to take care of the problem from the ground or a good ladder.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I was told to avoid walking on the roof to fully maximize its life, to avoid leaks, and to avoid a fall. I clean gutters too, but I stay on the heavy-duty extension ladder with a scoop and garden hose. The cheap plastic leaf guards keep all except those pine needles out of the gutters. Trimming back the trees really helped cut down gutter chores.

Roller skates.
Sorry, it's late and I'm giddy. Stay off the roof where possible, use a ladder. and if you must go on top of the roof (like to access another level of roof) wear your roller skates! Ahh no, golf spikes are better for grip, err ok tennis shoes will work.