Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer

Not just seasonal stuff. A few years ago, Walmart did a computer inquiry as to what was needed most after a hurricane. Not only what sold the most, but what did their stores run out of.

The results were surprising, shocking even: Beer and strawberry pop-tarts!

From all over the nation, 18-wheelers headed to Florida filled with Pabst and pastries!

Reply to
HeyBub

"Noozer" wrote in news:GqXpi.7904$rX4.2917@pd7urf2no:

AMEN!!!!!!

Reply to
A Teamster

WM Assoc wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Absolutely, it's not just a winter item. But a sweatshop giant like walmart is only after the quick money anyway.

Reply to
A Teamster

"Don Phillipson" wrote in news:f8aaum$t1o$1 @theodyn.ncf.ca:

It's Canada. They sell Parkas year round :)

Reply to
A Teamster

Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says Walmart.

Interestingly, there are no Walmarts in large, union-dominated, cities (New York, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Boston, Washington, Seattle, San Francisco, and others). Wonder why that is?

We have fourteenWalmarts here in Houston, seven in Austin, nine in Dallas, and fourteen in San Antonio!

Of course Texas is a Right-To-Scab state...

Reply to
HeyBub

There is nothing that Wal-Mart can do to the specialty store, take home hardware for instance, yeah I know it is a large company but it is just an example. We cater to the seasons, and school supplies are already in our store, so that when the parents are ready they will remember that they saw it at our store, while home hardware caters to the home no matter the season, we are not a specialty store we are a discount store, we know that on nov 27 we will sell more Christmas tinsel then weather stripping so we take that space for something that will generate the higher profits, which in turn a percentage (yeah I know it is a small percentage) gets given back to the staff (associates).

Reply to
Allan

well we do live in igloo's gotta keep warm some how, you guys should really come up to here and see our igloo shaped Wal-Mart.

Reply to
Allan

..

Well Walmart is not where I would go for weather-stripping. Frankly I would see their point of not stocking slow moving items out of the prime season. In most areas people don't buy much of that in the summer,

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

We eat your ice cream down here. Thank you.

gotta keep warm some how, you guys should really

Reply to
mm

And here I thought that they had "created" more low income families "needing" social programs. It was my understanding that their management is trained to direct their associates towards the social programs when they ask for a raise.

Tom G.

(clipped)

Reply to
Tom G

"Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says Walmart."

I tend to think this is true. I believe some studies have been done that show that Walmart's presence *effectively* increases the

*average* shopper's disposable personal income by .9%. This of course says nothing about the plight of the employees, but Walmart customers far outnumber its employees. I would say that's a net plus to society. Also, although the sample is obviously insignificant, I like to ask employees from time to time whether they think Walmart treats them fairly. Most have had no complaints. As for product quality, you are safe if you stick to brand names, but Walmart brands are fine for simple items. If you *really* want to get me going, let's discuss Home Depot! In my area (New England) they are frequently out of stock on the most basic of items and never seem to have really good prices anymore. For example, the other day I noticed they stopped carrying regular Scott's grass seed in most kinds. They only had "Super Premium" with a premium price of about 40%. Then there is the issue of simply not carrying small items that clearly are home needs. I wanted a replacement muffler for my lawn mower. They carry not a single kind! I know there have been HD threads here before so won't start one. Enough for today. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

I'll just respond briefly here. A while ago I was in the electrical aisle of our local HD and spotted a guy with a yellow sheet of paper in his hand, that, as I approached, I could see was an invoice from a "Real Electrical Supply House" (part of a large chain, although not in every state). I don't recall whether I started the conversation or whether he did, but he told me that some things were cheaper at the "RESH" while others were cheaper at HD -- and the ones that were cheaper at the "RESH" were not simply because they were in large-quantity packs. And he was comparing items of the same brand and model no., not "regular quality" vs. HD el cheapo.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

What's surprising is the fact you are shocked. Walmart is a shit store. Shit employees, and shit customers. Fooseball is the devil Bobby Bouche.

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

Penn & Teller, on their excellent series "Bullshit!", did an episode on Walmart, and debunked most of the anti-Walmart stuff.

Reply to
Tim Smith

I'd loved to have seen that.

Reply to
frank1492

Penn and Teller: Bullshit! season 5 episode 2: Wal-Mart

I found a torrent listed at

that page for "S05E02" or "Wal-Mart".

You might find it on the binary newsgroups alt.binaries.tv or alt.binaries.multimedia

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That's a credible source...

Reply to
sonofabitchsky

A couple things wrong with that:

  1. The employees are paid to fill space, not make sales. They get no commissions, and as such have no vested interest in making you, the customer, happy.
  2. The employees' time is much more valuable than the few cents' profit made by selling the hose. 5 minutes of an /hr employee's time costs more than the profit lost by not selling the hose.
Reply to
mkirsch1