Walfart dont sell weatherstripping in summer

Page 2 of 2

So WalMart invests in your community, stays open at God awful hours to accomodate your schedule, and charges less which helps YOU, and you HATE them? You're a joke.

You might need that local hardware store one day, for intelligent advice.
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:24:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@no-walmart.com wrote:

I'm sure they do. In the past, one of the big jobs of a store owner/manager was to know how much of everything to order. Some could keep track of what they sold last year, but others weren't so good at it. Now they have sales records, going back for years, and for every store, on computer. Not just wal-mart but all kinds of stores have software to determine how well each item and each category of winter stuff sold in the spring, summer, and fall. Based on the normal weather pattern for the stores' location. And not just by season but by week. I would assume that by now, not only does the computer do the first draft of the orders, but that it prints notices in advance by the proper amount to clear out lawnmowers to make room for snowblowers, etc.

That's walmart's rule, probably designed so they can have a minimum of staff. A small hardware store also rotates its seasonal items, but they would probably go in the back to get it for you. You should shop as much as possible at the small store that charges 3 times as much so they'll be in business when you need them. I'll bet they don't charge that much on everythign.

No time here for a comparison with other stores' goals.

mm wrote:

Not just seasonal stuff. A few years ago, Walmart did a computer inquiry as to what was needed most after a hurricane. Not only what sold the most, but what did their stores run out of.
The results were surprising, shocking even: Beer and strawberry pop-tarts!
From all over the nation, 18-wheelers headed to Florida filled with Pabst and pastries!
On Jul 26, 6:24 am, snipped-for-privacy@no-walmart.com wrote:

A couple things wrong with that: 1. The employees are paid to fill space, not make sales. They get no commissions, and as such have no vested interest in making you, the customer, happy. 2. The employees' time is much more valuable than the few cents' profit made by selling the hose. 5 minutes of an $8/hr employee's time costs more than the profit lost by not selling the hose.

AMEN!!!!!!

There is nothing that Wal-Mart can do to the specialty store, take home hardware for instance, yeah I know it is a large company but it is just an example. We cater to the seasons, and school supplies are already in our store, so that when the parents are ready they will remember that they saw it at our store, while home hardware caters to the home no matter the season, we are not a specialty store we are a discount store, we know that on nov 27 we will sell more Christmas tinsel then weather stripping so we take that space for something that will generate the higher profits, which in turn a percentage (yeah I know it is a small percentage) gets given back to the staff (associates).

Wally World. Poor selection, lousy quality, and less than good prices in most cases, in my experience. A real building supply will always have weatherstripping, and a real farm supply (TSC, Quality Farm&Fleet, or local Ma'n'Pa) will always have hoses. A big-box home center will have both most of the time. More often than not, there is a Lowes within 3 miles of a Super Wally World, often they are right across the parking lot.
aem sends....
aem sends....
On Jul 26, 1:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@no-walmart.com wrote:

Weatherstripping is needed more in the winter because the temp differential between the indoors and outdoors could be up to 100 degrees different. In the summer, probably no more than 20 degrees.
Shelf space isn't infinite, and WalMart has better things to do than carry an off-season item that hardware stores have.

Not the same thing but slightly related: 50+ years ago, when I was 8 or 9, I noticed that when the supermarket didn't have a box of cereal with the "prize"** I wanted, I could go to the corner market and was more likely to be able to get it. I realized then that that was because the stock turned over more slowly at the little store, and even though they got new stock when they ordered, they ordered less frequently and took longer to sell what they received.
**In the old days, prizes, premiums, were almost always in the box. None of this mailing in to get it. Although I think I had to write away to get my baking soda powered submarine and my baking soda powered skin divers.
snipped-for-privacy@no-walmart.com wrote:

Well Walmart is not where I would go for weather-stripping. Frankly I would see their point of not stocking slow moving items out of the prime season. In most areas people don't buy much of that in the summer,
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
"Walmart has provided, through savings, more relief to low-income families than all the social programs (WIC, food stamps, social security, unemployment compensation, etc.) combined. Or so says Walmart."
I tend to think this is true. I believe some studies have been done that show that Walmart's presence *effectively* increases the *average* shopper's disposable personal income by .9%. This of course says nothing about the plight of the employees, but Walmart customers far outnumber its employees. I would say that's a net plus to society. Also, although the sample is obviously insignificant, I like to ask employees from time to time whether they think Walmart treats them fairly. Most have had no complaints. As for product quality, you are safe if you stick to brand names, but Walmart brands are fine for simple items. If you *really* want to get me going, let's discuss Home Depot! In my area (New England) they are frequently out of stock on the most basic of items and never seem to have really good prices anymore. For example, the other day I noticed they stopped carrying regular Scott's grass seed in most kinds. They only had "Super Premium" with a premium price of about 40%. Then there is the issue of simply not carrying small items that clearly are home needs. I wanted a replacement muffler for my lawn mower. They carry not a single kind! I know there have been HD threads here before so won't start one. Enough for today. Frank
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:33:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@no-walmart.com wrote:

On 07/27/07 11:23 am frank1492 wrote:

I'll just respond briefly here. A while ago I was in the electrical aisle of our local HD and spotted a guy with a yellow sheet of paper in his hand, that, as I approached, I could see was an invoice from a "Real Electrical Supply House" (part of a large chain, although not in every state). I don't recall whether I started the conversation or whether he did, but he told me that some things were cheaper at the "RESH" while others were cheaper at HD -- and the ones that were cheaper at the "RESH" were not simply because they were in large-quantity packs. And he was comparing items of the same brand and model no., not "regular quality" vs. HD el cheapo.
Perce

Penn & Teller, on their excellent series "Bullshit!", did an episode on Walmart, and debunked most of the anti-Walmart stuff.
--
--Tim Smith

I'd loved to have seen that.
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:17:02 -0700, Tim Smith

Penn and Teller: Bullshit! season 5 episode 2: Wal-Mart
I found a torrent listed at http://www.mininova.org/search/bullshit/8 Search that page for "S05E02" or "Wal-Mart".
You might find it on the binary newsgroups alt.binaries.tv or alt.binaries.multimedia

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

That's a credible source...
On Jul 26, 9:33 am, snipped-for-privacy@no-walmart.com wrote:

What's surprising is the fact you are shocked. Walmart is a shit store. Shit employees, and shit customers. Fooseball is the devil Bobby Bouche.