Vinyl window prices & installation

Everyone I talk to comes in at about $500 for a single vinyl replacement window (35" x 60") installed. Anyone on know how do get a better deal? Is do-it-yourself installation difficult?

Reply to
Crabshell

I went through the same thing. Here's a good tip that I got lucky and figured out. Many window manufacturers sell what they call a "builders' series.'' Essentially, it's what they sell for new construction because it comes with a 1.5 to 2-inch nailing fin. I bought these to fit my rough openings, but I subtracted the nailing fin from window measurements. When the windows come, all you have to do is score the fin with a utility knife and snap them off. Otherwise, the windows are essentially the same as the retro-fit windows that cost twice as much.

The problem is that these windows come in set sizes. The pricey windows are the ones that they have to customize, so you might have to be a little creative in the framing. It is definitely worth looking into, I did 10 large double-pane, argon, low e, prairie style windows for under $2500

Crabshell wrote:

Reply to
dave

It can be a snap, or it can be a nightmare. Depends on the house and how experienced the installer is. If the measurements are off it can double the amount of work - assuming that they're too small. If they're too big, it doubles the material cost, and wastes a lot of time.

The whole trick is in minimizing the amount of extra work that you have to do, and to pay great attention to flashing and caulking. There are a ton of web sites that walk you through the process pictorially.

You might want to think about calling the local carpenter's union hall and asking if there's someone waiting to be called that would like to help for a day or two. Arrange an hourly rate. They'll help by showing you how to do the first few - in other words they'll lead and you'll help.

RicodJour

Sounds interesting. The "creative framing" may be too much for me to take on considering the risks.

"dave" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Crabshell

"RicodJour" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Is installation a substantial part of the cost typically? I think with the Lowes /Home Depot windows it's all inclusive.

Reply to
Crabshell

One window company indicates these estimated times for install.

(new construction windows)

First Time: 40 min

Experienced: 25 min

Professional: 15 min