Vinyl Underlayment - Screws vs ring shank

I've always used no-snap screws for putting down underlayment for vinyl then filled in countersinks with flooring skimcoat/filler.
What about ring shank nails? I would think the heads do not get driven enough to not show throuh after a period of time.

You mean the ring shanks that are meant for underlayment? If the heads are flush (why wouldn't they be?) they're fine, but if the installer was a little meat-fisted and put some hammer dings in the underlayment then you'll need to use filler. I just plan on using filler anyway for the seams, and I hit whatever else needs hitting.

FWIW, Iv'e used Senco GL21 and Gl24 ring shanks in my SnN 60 for years on subfloors, siding, or whatever. Its easy to set the head just a scosche below surface and go over the area with a bit of Bondo. I like the Bondo because it is ready for sanding so quickly and fills up seam areas so well that need help. Right now there are a couple of unfinished projects on my list that have been put down this way and the area looks fine for flooring crew when I'm ready. These were 8d and 5/8" ply, so wouldn't apply to Luan, probably.
Joe