vinyl paint on house

I am considering to my have my house vinyl sided and have gotten estimates from local conractors. One contractor was also recommending liquid vinyl paint. The salesman said that it won't peel, crack, or fade like regular paint and never have to paint your house again. Sounds intriguing, so I started checking it out. They are marketing this vinyl painting in the Boston area since this January and have 3 or 4 houses done this way. I checked out the houses and have talked with owners; and they are very happy with the quality of the work. Supposedly, this stuff has been around since the 70's and used only in industrial and institutional structures and buildings and now is going into the homes. The cost is comparable to a low-end siding job. Does anybody any experience with liquid vinyl paint in long term. Does it really hold up over time?

Check this site:

lee

Any paint or the vinyl paint you describe is only going to last as long as the original paint holds up. that is why people strip houses , to remove the seriously decayed old paint. Since the cost of stripping non architecturaly significant houses is greater than new siding , most people do not do it. For the guy to say you will never have to paint again is B.S. I checked out your site and did NOT see Any product Warranty,. That tells me more BS about that co. and the product...And to say it wont FADE more BS,,,, All paint fades.....If your base paint is sound several manufacturers such as sherwin williams carry exterior latex with a polyurethane base that they warranty never to peal... but your old base coat will eventualy. paint with latex or use new siding , that vinyl paint crap, I wouldnt use it, sounds like a sales pitch thats all. or maybe you are the salesperson..

Reply to
mark Ransley

The base color of your vinyl will hold up fine for 20 years or so. Why don't you wait 20 years and see how the vinyl paint holds up. You can decide then what you want to do.

The joy of vinyl siding is that it won't peel, crack or fade like painted siding, and you will never have to paint your house again. Actually, the only color that appears to be permanent is white. Other colors will eventually lighten and start to appear chalky, but it takes many years.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

I found it interesting how they always manage to take the "before' pics on a cloudy day and the "after" in bright sunshine.

I used a good grade of vinyl latex paint on our new house 39 years ago and we've only repainted twice since. Our friends kept asking, "what was wrong with the old paint".

Pressure washing, scraping and sanding where necessary before you paint, and using a quality brand of paint will ensure longest life.

Reply to
Martin

I'm not the original poster, but I'm having my house shot with Vista elastomeric in a week or so. House is 40 years old, has shake siding with several coats of paint on it. They're not going to do a full strip, but a full pressure wash and surface repair. They guarantee the elastomeric job for 12 years.

This painter has been in business for nearly 30 years and has *zero* unresolved complaints with the contractor's board. If they say it will stick and not fade and last out a 12-year guarantee, I believe them.

I also watched their prep and paint crews do the house next door before I chose them. Very, very impressive effort and attention to detail... and their bid was second lowest of four.

So yes, I do believe that the vinyl and elastomeric paints, when properly applied but without a "full strip" to start, will last much, much longer than any standard paint.

Reply to
James Gifford

Sorry, but to me any house I see that has vinyl siding reminds me of a trailer. I've seen it blow off in average storms, break apart from hail and start to fade in five years, even white. Now, I have heard of a ceramic coating that they spray on and have heard it is very good, but very expensive. If people would paint the house right the job should last 10 to 15 years, but then we wouldn't be havig this discussion would we? AL

Reply to
call_me_al