Viny Siding Brands, which is best

Page 1 of 2
I have received two quotes on putting vinyl siding on the gables of my home and also on the soffit and fascia, both companies have proposed using a siding brand that I am not familiar with nor does it show up on the consumer reports site as being tested by them. The brand name of the siding is Kaycan.
My questions are 1. is Kaycan brand siding comparable to other brands of siding..ie alco, certainteed, Royal
2. anyone have their home sided with Kaycan siding and if so, how long have you had it and are you happy with it? , is it holding up well,,,etc etc
3. if I have the choice, should I pick another brand of siding over Kaycan?.....Money is not the object, but I want a siding that will last , looks good now and years to come,,,etc etc
Thanks
R. Scott
PS if anyone has any helpful hints don't hesitate to let me have em.... :)
<< if I have the choice, should I pick another brand of >>
Certainteed is likely the best choice if long life and future customer support are important to you. To learn more about their products, application methods and general overview , get the manual and sample folders from their customer service people. Many lumber yards handle their line of builders materials, so check your local ones forthat source of info as well. Good luck.
Joe
Are you familiar with how poisonus vinyl siding is if you are caught in a house fire, not to mention the manufacturing process?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Vinyl siding is normally used outside the house. People caught in house fires are inside the house, where they have more immediate concerns than fumes from exterior siding.
-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Vinyl is used in windows, in furniture, and recently in walls. It is used in may places that people don't even take into consideration, and is one of the most deadly man made items available in the market today. In any event, it does't matter if the vinyl is on the outside of the house, the smoke still gets inside the house. As the fire grows inside the house, it sucks air in from the outside.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

Ted, by that time you have a lot more to worry about than the vinyl.
I have yet to see any major safety group call attention to this as a problem. I really don't think it is a problem. In theory, yes, in practice, not really.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
As a firefighter we were taught that a crew died from a closet fire where a pair of vinyl heels were producing the smoke. We are to use air packs for every occurrence. There are "many" chemicals in a home that produce harmful smoke. When a fire develops, "always" evacuate then call the fire dept.
--
Steve

> "ted harris" wrote in message
plugnickle wrote:

I agree. It is a lot safer.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

http://www.bluevinyl.org for the HBO documentary America Undercover called Blue Vinyl.
http://www.myhouseisyourhouse.org/ will give you penty of reasons to look into the dangers of vinyl use and manufacture.
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

As I said " have yet to see any major safety group call attention to this as a problem. I really don't think it is a problem. In theory, yes, in practice, not really."
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Did you see the movie Blu Vinyl? If you did see it, why would a "major safety group" have to call attention to this as a problem. Can't you figure it out on your own?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

Maybe because it is not the problem you think it is. What makes you think Blu Vinyl is a valid source of data?
And to answer your question, I did not bother watching their movie.
I suggest you check with your local fire department and see if they have any evidence of this major problem that only you seem to know about.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

In other words you did not find well known agency that has bothered with this great problem. If it were a problem, the insurance industry would be all over the place about it.

They are very interested and knowledgeable about safety as it relates to fires. They spend a great deal of time in training on the subject.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Thanks anyway, but I don't need a "well known agency" to tell me about any problem. Do you? ...and I don't think I will wait around for the insurance company to tell me about a problem either, since their actions would based on their interests.

Exactly. Why do you suppose they spend so much time training? Maybe to learn more?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com
ted harris wrote:

No I don't, but I don't run every time I hear someone crying wolf.

The vested interest of any insurance company is to prevent expensive claims and the most expensive are personal interest. They do not want you hurt big time.

They have to have the training to become a fireman. It is college level these days. They get the training you don't.
Do you know what the people who set up that web page have? Web pages are not always very good sources of good information. If you don't believe me take a look at all the area 15 web pages and their stores of little green men or all the magic cures for weight problems to sure fire cancer cures.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
ted harris wrote:

Which is a very good reason not to use it inside. ;-)
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

It is all junk. It looks bad and will rot your house. Don't use it.
Greg
Greg wrote:

I take it you don't like vinyl. Frankly it does have some problems, but rotting is not one of them that I have seen. I have seen wood rot however. Mostly I have seen poor installations.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math