Vintage 1970s black scuba fins smear oily rubber in the pool

Page 1 of 3

My kid wants to use my dad's vintage US Divers circa 1970's black scuba fins in the pool but I won't let him until we solve the problem of the oily rubber coming off in our hands.
We bought new straps and soaked the fins themselves for days in a bucket of pool water, but still the oily black inky rubber comes off as you rub the fins in your hands.
Is there a "coating" or some way to stop old scuba fins from smearing oily black rubber on everything it touches?
Add pictures here
✖
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Same thing happened to a toiled flush valve-flapper (age unknown - likely 10+ years). The toiled bowl started to develop black streaks and initially I couldn't figure out why. Then I checked out the flush valve and got my hands incredibly stained with what seemed like india ink.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 22, 10:03 pm, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:>snip<>

Best guess from here is that the rubber compound has deteriorated past usefulness. Many years ago there were a lot of rubber goods made with what was called 'oil extended rubber'. It was not intended for long service, so my thought is that old age has caused the modifier to separate from the bulk of the rubber. Everybody would be happier with a brand new fins, don't you think?
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

Rueful chuckle. I had a pair of boots (wellingtons for dry land, not diving boots) that did that once. Only wore them 2-3 times, and then stuck them in the closet. A year or so later, pulled them out, and the soles and heels had turned to soft mush. Ended up shitcanning them, since they were not the kind that could be resoled at a realistic price.
Live and learn- guess that was why they were on sale so cheap in the first place. In this case, I say trash the vintage ones and buy new. The new designs and plastics they use work a whole lot better anyway, from what I understand. I remember the fins I had as a kid leaving welts on my feet.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
On 2010-06-23, Judy Zappacosta

The rubber has rotted and broken down. No saving them. Just toss 'em.
nb
Add pictures here
✖
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Hi, Throw them out. Safety issue. Would you ride on 40 year old tires?
Add pictures here
✖

At speeds of about one mile per hour, yes.
Steve
✖
On 6/23/2010 12:19 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The only safety issue is if someone who cares sees the smears. The fins are breaking down and are way past due for being replaced. You will find that new fins are *much* lighter and easier on the legs.
http://www.usdivers.com/index.php/products/technologies/pivot-flex-technologies
Jay
Add pictures here
✖

The feet pockets on those old ones were hard and unforgiving, even with booties on. Even if you had them adjusted just right, you had to put them tight enough not to come off, and that meant having sore toenails for a time. IIRC, they did not float, so if one came off .........
Steve
✖

I had the Cressi-Rondine with open toe! Good for their time...don't know about now.
Add pictures here
✖
in message

No. It was heartbreaking for me to throw away my ScubaPro Jetfins that I bought new when I got certified in 1969. That's what they do when they get old. Go get a new pair, and do a little research, as if the lad wants to use them for any other purpose than the pool, you will then need to go buy the proper pair. Now, there are hundreds to choose from. You can buy them in sizes, or buy the adjustables. I like the soft ones that are sized. Only buy those that float so you don't lose one at the lake. The old pair would look good nailed to the fence, or somewhere they won't blacken anything. They still have some class after all these years to us old fart divers.
HTH
Steve, NAUI certified 1969, Divemaster 1974, commercial hard hat 1974
✖
On Jun 22, 10:03 pm, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

You wouldnt drive on the highway in 40 yr old tires or with 40 yr old radiator hoses and belts, rubber decomposes- oxidises. Time for the trash.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 04:21:40 -0700 (PDT), ransley wrote:

I will not throw them away (they were my Dads' fins) but besides, there's nothing physically wrong with them (we replaced the straps which were missing).
The fins are solid as when they were new (they definitely do not float) but their can't possibly be a "safety hazard". The only thing happening to them is they rub off a black oily inky smear on everything they touch.
At this rate, since they're more than an inch thick in spots, it would take a thousand years for them to wear thinly enough to become a safety hazard.
I'm wondering if I can find a varnish or spray that will "cover" and "seal" the fins. It must exist. It exists for wood and metals ... so why not vulcanized rubber?
I can't be the ONLY person with this problem ...
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:45 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

Dunno. You are adamant bout using those particular fins?
Couple of thoughts (temporary solutions):
Automotive store , look for products for cleaning car tires. Same for (not my words) conditioners, Armour All, etc.....
Maybe a local car detailing shop or dive shop can offer you advice.
When I wash the rubber trim on my truck windows, the wash rag gets really dirty from the rubber.

This too will pass :-/
Add pictures here
✖
Judy Zappacosta wrote:

Judy- the fact that the surface rubs off means that they are NOT as solid as when they were new. The rubber is breaking down. I completely understand about keeping them for sentimental reasons, but all they are good for at this point is a display piece, perhaps on the poolhouse wall or in your kid's bedroom, out of direct sunlight. Spraying them with one of the sealers Krylon markets to artists may make them cleaner to handle, for awhile at least. Unlike the other products you mentioned, rubber flexes, so there really isn't a good way to add a new surface to it.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:50:45 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta

But it's a safety issue. My swim fins came off once and I drowned.

Do you have to do the insides too or only the outside?

Add pictures here
✖
On 6/23/2010 21:44, mm wrote:

Please share with us how you participate in this discussion from the afterlife.
Add pictures here
✖

I have wi-fi.
Add pictures here
✖
september.org:

Awh, come on... A better question would be what kind of bandwidth can you get...
--
See NNTP header field "X-Real-Email-Address" to reply by email.

Add pictures here
✖
in message

I'm sure you're not the "ONLY" person with the problem you have.
Try posting here: news:alt.society.mental-health
Add pictures here
✖