Very scared and frustrated

Well I searched on blindness guano and didn't find anything.
Are you telling me you know that it doesn't cause blindness? Or you know something about this?
Maybe I got mixed up and it causes deafness.
Maybe Pinochet somehow got all the webpages with this story removed? Although an easier technique would be to put something in the websearch engines to exclude certain results. That's why I used google and yahoo this time, and neither had anything (in the first 50 hits each.)
I'd send a copy of this to my brother, but he doesn't have email.
P&M

Add pictures here
βœ–
mm wrote:That blindness guano can occur saw it on tv recently....
The eye doc sad so you have been exposed to bats or whatever.
Lady didnt know of the problem till that....
didnt go blind but it was possible
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Google "histoplasmosis". Blindness isn't the only thing it can do to you.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

She must have gotten a lot less bat stuff than the ones who work 40-80 hours a week in guano (bat droppings) caves. So that makes it seem like my brother was right, so why does google not have anything about it. Is everything about it too old to be computerized?

I'm sure. But I'm still more interested in the relationship between histo and blindness. Turns out there is ocular histoplasmosis.
Too tired to hunt more, Bill, but it seems there is definitely a relationship between bats and blindness (LOL). I don't know if it is in the guano or not, but I only said "guano miners".
I don't know why blindness and histoplasmosis give hits, and histoplasmosis and bats give hits, but guano and blindness doesn't. Maybe there are hits but they're too far down the list. Histo and blindness gave about 49,000 hits, but searching for all 3 gave only 262 hits.
Here are 3: http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00517.html http://72.14.203.104/search?q Κche:9SeOjXjzGwIJ:www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00517.html+histoplasmosis+blindness+guano&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a "In another, 14 healthy young college students developed histoplasmosis when they were exposed to bat guano in a cave in Nicaragua."
http://www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsBats.html http://72.14.203.104/search?q Κche:iVpSDFlFB9cJ:www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsBats.html+histoplasmosis+blindness+guano&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a "Though bat guano has been sold as a fertilizer and can be useful in some situations, bat droppings are also a major breeding ground for histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through airborne spores in bat droppings. Histoplasmosis symptoms may be anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or even death. An eye condition has been linked to the bat disease histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it. "
and 6. Lenhart S. Recommendations for Protecting Workers from Histoplasma capsulatum Exposure During Bat Guano Removal from a Church's Attic. Appl Occup Environ Hyg 1994; 9:230-6.
If they have to protect workers from it, ...
Add pictures here
βœ–
mm wrote:

My impression is that blindness is an infrequently occurring outcome.

lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a
lang_iw|lang_es&client=firefox-a
You have to protect workers from a lot of things. You have to protect them from sawdust these days, to take one example.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
βœ–

One of the "house disaster" programs on TLC had a segment on a woman who bought a house (without an inspection) that turned out to have major things wrong with it, and enormous expense was required to fix it. One of the problems was a major bat infestation in the attic. According to the show, she visited an eye doctor who said "I can see histo scarring in your eyes, you've probably had contact with bat feces."
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
βœ–
uz wrote:

Pay attention to your husband.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum. As far as your ducts go, exactly where and in what form was the "asbestos"? As far as fear goes, would it help to know that asbestos doesn't cut down people like the grim reaper's scythe? That it takes years of heavy, pretty much continuous exposure to loose particles to be detrimental (if then)?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Actually, there was, and in vinyl flooring too. The Vinyl stuff was usually labeled as VAT, for "Vinyl-Asbestos Tile"
Add pictures here
βœ–
Guy Aerts wrote:

Linoleum is made of linseed oil and wood (or cork) powder applied over a backing. You know something that says otherwise?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 00:32:11 GMT, "Art"

Yes, I think the standard name around Baltimore is "vinyl linoleum". It didnt' take me long to learn that the word linoleum there only means that it comes in wide sheets, unlike vinyl tile that comes in 12" or 9" squares.
However I don't think vinyl anything contains asbestos anymore. When did the OP's floor go in.
There used to be something called asbestos tile, and I'm pretty sure that contained asbestos.

Add pictures here
βœ–

That's really easy to identify. If you have tile that looks like vinyl, but it throws sparks when you try to drill through it with a hole-saw, it's probably VAT.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wow, amazing.
Add pictures here
βœ–
dadiOH wrote:

He is correct - there was a Tile, much like todays vinyl self adhesive tiles that were put down, extremely durable and usually used for commercial use. They did contain asbestos!
To the best of my knowledge, it was never used in sheet vinyl type flooring materials, just in the tiles.
As for asbestos in the home, the potential harm comes from the particles floating in the air and being breathed into the lungs and getting stuck there. This only happens while it is being disturbed.
Once the asbestos was cleaned out by the abatement company, and then followed by a HEPA cleaning of the home, there should not be anything more than the equivalent of standard dusts in the home. Relax, you and your family will be just fine..... you found a problem, you've solved the problem, now, sit back relax and enjoy your home and family...!
Glen
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@ExpressQuoteOnline.com wrote:

I know. Point is, they weren't linoleum.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yes, you do! Make an appointment with a psychologist immediately. The asbestos is not a big deal, and you are making one out of it.
Now, what to do about the asbestos:
Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled. It gets into the air usually during construction or demolition, and looks like dust or little slivers of light floating. Once the dust settles, it just sits there until disturbed.
Hiring a cleaning crew would be the best thing. After they remove any loose dust, the rest will go away as you wash clothes, dust things, etc. Get a couple of good air purifiers, as they are just a good thing anyway to remove dust and pollen.
You had a small bathroom rebuilt. If you had your living, dining, and family rooms and hallway all worked on, I would be a little more concerned.
You are wise to be careful. But just have it cleaned, go see your shrink and find out why you reacted so strongly, and don't worry because it's not really a big deal.
Your behavior is a tipoff. This time it is a little asbestos. Next time it will be whatever is on Oprah or 48 hours, or whatever.
Be sure, be safe. But you have a much higher chance of an airliner falling on your house than getting significant asbestos exposure from a house built in the 70s.
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–
uz wrote:

That can be taken various ways. First, relax. If you ever thought you were perfectly secure, it ain't so.
USCG has done and published many studies on the dangers of asbestos. Distilled: particles from about 1/2 to about 1.5 micron across can get into the lungs and not be expelled. To be exposed to much of that, you need to be breaking up dry asbestos. Simple water spray reduces concentration of such particles to zero. Again, relax. You're going to die from something, and it should be enjoyable, not result from hypertension.
βœ–
On 6/15/06 9:41 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "uz"

money off of scared people. Most of the danger homeowners face from asbestos will come from stirring it up. Give up smoking, and most of hazard will disappear right off the bat. The people most harmed by asbestos are those who smoked those little cigars that they had for lighting welding torches. Moreover, there are two forms of asbestos that were used most. About 80% is of a type that is rather benign compared to the other one. The type can easily be determined looking at a fiber of the material under a polarizing microscope. My suggestion is don't worry.
Next, it is time to pooh pooh the radon-industrial complex.
Bill -- Ferme le Bush
Add pictures here
βœ–
The NEXT biggie will be treated wood with guys in moon suits removing it...........
Heck the feds are mandating scrubbers on bakeries because the smell of bread baking is supoposedly dangerous..........
Anyone who smokes today is a complete fool
Add pictures here
βœ–