Vent Location on Dryer ?

I recently moved into a new house and the prior owners left the washer and dryer (nice units). I noticed that the dryer's vent pipe is loose and got to thinking about it's incredibly terrible location. Having the vent at the bottom, on the back, has to be the worst possible location from a consumer's standpoint, especially when it comes undone.

Given the above, is there any kit available to secure the vent pipe to the dryer, with a positive, locking result? And, why don't the designers locate the vent at the top of the dryer so that we can make adjustments easily?

Thanks for any insight and opinions.

Reply to
nr

Most units have the vent on the bottom. Usually a 4 inch clamp is what holds the vent hose to the dryer.

Reply to
Mikepier

What i did on mine, is, i took some 4" solid aluminum vent pipe and screwed it to the flange at the bottom, then ran it up and outside. You can get the aluminum vent pipe at Menards, Home DePot, or Ace hardware stores. Its inexpensive and you dont have to worry about it ripping like the flexible plastic hose will., in time.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Hi,

**is there any kit available to secure the vent pipe to the dryer, with a positive, locking result?**

No "kits" but the metal screw clamp ( or squeeze clamp ) is the best and most secure method....

vent screw-type clamp (worm gear).

Vent Squeeze Clamp.

**And, why don't the designers locate the vent at the top of the dryer so that we can make adjustments easily?**

That would be too easy ;) ...and no fun! Making it at the bottom is probably easier for the manufacture and we are not considered....changed spark plugs on your car recently??....definetly not designed for out convenience . jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

That reminds me. You should never use sheet metal screws into the vent tohold it together. While it may hold securely, the screws can catch lint and have a buildup over time.

Change them? I cant even see three of them. Last time I did my own oil change was the first two changes on my new '91 Regal. It was a big PITA and I have been happy to pay to have it done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski