venetian blinds

I need to repair a front window (horizontal blinds) that don't close or open properly. I saw a site that shows it briefly and they claim it to be simple to fix. Is it really as simple as they say and any special tools I should use or any gotchas I should know about before I begin? Do I need to take it down from the window?

Reply to
drb

It is very easy, probably rates 1 out of 10 in difficulty. Where did you get stuck?

Reply to
Phisherman

No, I didn't begin yet. Got a lot of minor repairs to do so this is one on my list to do. Blinds are about 4 or 5 foot long so I hope I can detach them from window by myself. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
drb

Most have simple mechanisms for taking down, but they aren't very precision made so maneuvering can be tricky. Each bracket at the top should have a little plastic square holding the blind in place.....just slide it toward the center of the window to remove it. It often has a molded stripe that makes getting hold a little easier. After those are removed, the header of the blind should be free to move out, toward you, but sometimes has a "lip" on the bracket so's you have to rotate the bottom up and out to free it. Sudsy water in the bathtub, soft brush, make them easy to clean. Rinse, spread them out with the slats vertical to dry :o)

Reply to
Norminn

The fix is usually simple. Are these metal blinds or the vinyl ones you can buy for a few $?

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Take it down and look at the top where the mechanism is. When you look you'll know what to do. Little long nose plier and tweezer are handy to work on it Our cats mess our blinds often but I can put it back to working, not even 10 minutes job.

Reply to
Tony Hwang