Velcro as strong as steel!

Because it's MADE out of steel - with a holding force of 38 tons per sq meter.
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-09/steel-velcro-not-sneakers
One proposed use is to hold cars together, which would make replacing a damaged quarter-panel pretty easy.

D*mn! I wish I knew about this stuff yesterday.
My daughter went back to college with a little corner shelf I made so she can put her clock radio on the wall above her bunk bed. Since she can't put holes in the wall, I sent some self-stick velcro along and she mounted it that way. This steel stuff would have been even better.
When we moved her in we had trouble finding a spot for her 13 in TV where both she and her roomate could see it. I just sent her the pop- sci link suggesting we could use the steel velcro to hang it from the ceiling!
HeyBub wrote:

parallel is less than 60 psi which is zilch in terms of steel strength.
HeyBub wrote:

and away you go! :^/
-- aem sends....

That is absotively evil. Thanks for the tip.
on 9/8/2009 12:05 PM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:

They glue the panels nowadays.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Heck, aren't airliners glued together?
TDD
Yeah, I don't think I'd exactly call that "strong as steel".
38 tones per square METER? That's about 50 pounds per square inch (someone said 60, but that would be 38 tons per square yard).
Strong steel is 35 tons per square INCH (tensile strength), about 1,500 times stronger.
HeyBub wrote:

New college prank. Professor walks out and finds his car denuded. As bad as the VW Bug balanced on the 50gal drum.
TDD

There seems to be a slight exaggeration here. 38 tons per square yard is about 50 pounds per square inch. Mild steel IIRC is rated about 60,000 pounds per square inch.