Varmint(s) under the house

Years ago I sealed up all the entrances to the crawlspace, but last week I noticed that one had come off. Argh! I wasn't about to just seal it back up because I figured that with the cold weather coming on (Berkeley, CA, not freezing, but quite chilly in the winter), some animal was probably under the house.

I figure before I seal up (this time with a door and latch), I have to get whatever animals out of there. I started by putting some strained dirt over the ground just below the ~18x24" opening, smoothing it carefully to reveal any footprints of an animal going in or out. Next day, sure enough, footprints, maybe about the size of a small cat (but I figure it wouldn't be a cat, but who knows?).

I tried a trick I'd heard of and put an open container with some rocks in it (to keep it from tipping over) with ammonia and a rag, to disperse noxious and offensive fumes, right in back of the opening, so the animal(s) would have to pass the concentrated fumes when going in/out. I figured that after a day or two the animal(s) would find friendlier accommodations. After two or so days of this, footprints are still in evidence.

What can I try to expell the varmint(s)? I figure I can maybe work up a one way door of some kind, but it seems tricky.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Ammonia probably isn't the most effective smell, after all urine smells of ammonia when it gets old, so the area will just smell like the animal's favourite toilet area.

Reply to
EXT

A pet Wolverine released in the crawlspace will cure your varmint infestation.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and racoons. You can do it :o)

Reply to
Norminn

:Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the :animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and :racoons. You can do it :o)

OK, I may go this route. Again, I'd have to do it until at least a day passes with no footprints. I've never relocated a varmint before, but I figure I can locate a free trap here in Berkeley, where we celebrate the human conscience... sometimes to a fault.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Call your animal control department. They may be able to ID the footprints, which may enable them to recommend the best bait for the trap. They may also loan you a trap.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In many places it is illegal to relocate animals without a special permit. The fines are pretty high.

Reply to
salty

True. He'll find that out when he speaks to his animal control department.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There are no fines where I live. Relocation means moving the live animal with the blast of a 12 ga. shotgun to wherever it lands. Then out in a field for varmint dinner. It is 100% effective.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

celebrate the

footprints,

In CA it is illegal, and since he's in Berkeley ( I assume CA) so if you're going to relocate an animal, make sure you don't tell *anyone* especially in that town where they practically arrest you for being a Republican. ;-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

get a stick and a flashlight and go under there and chase it out..

ds549

You may (or may not) want to talk to:

Looks like Bezerkeley city council is opposed to trapping:
You may want to talk to animal control anyways. See what they suggest.

Reply to
M Q

Of course, you could just ID the footprint. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned about.

JoeSpareBedroom

Maybe in Berkeley they will let him use a digital game camera to what he really has.

Oren

Wouldn't that violate the critter's privacy rights?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It just might in Berkeley. The new "upskirting" laws and such.

Reply to
Oren

It evaporates pretty fast, too, so you have to keep renewing it.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Have you considered that you're creating a possum and raccon problem in someone else's neighborhood?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There'd be such a simple solution if they were tasty ........

Reply to
SteveB

:>>> :Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with :the :>>> :animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum :and :>>> :racoons. You can do it :o) :>>>

:>>> OK, I may go this route. Again, I'd have to do it until at least a :day :>>> passes with no footprints. I've never relocated a varmint before, :but I :>>> figure I can locate a free trap here in Berkeley, where we :celebrate the :>>> human conscience... sometimes to a fault. :>>>

:>>

:>>Call your animal control department. They may be able to ID the :footprints, :>>which may enable them to recommend the best bait for the trap. They :may also :>>loan you a trap. :>>

:>

:>In many places it is illegal to relocate animals without a special :>permit. The fines are pretty high. : :In CA it is illegal, and since he's in Berkeley ( I assume CA) so if :you're going to relocate an animal, make sure you don't tell *anyone* :especially in that town where they practically arrest you for being a :Republican. ;-) : :Cheri

True enough. I scanned the registration roles while waiting in line to vote one day a couple of years ago and it appeared that Republicans here are about 1 in 50, if that.

Dan

PS Thanks for the info about animal relocation in CA. I won't call animal control, then. What would be the point? I'm going to have to do something clever to get the animal(s) out, make sure they're out, and then lock them out!

Reply to
Dan_Musicant