Varmint(s) under the house

He could give whatever he traps a bath...

Reply to
Pete C.

:Dan_Musicant wrote: : :> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 11:17:59 -0500, Norminn :> wrote: :> :> :Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the :> :animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and :> :racoons. You can do it :o) :> :> OK, I may go this route. Again, I'd have to do it until at least a day :> passes with no footprints. I've never relocated a varmint before, but I :> figure I can locate a free trap here in Berkeley, where we celebrate the :> human conscience... sometimes to a fault. :> :> Dan :> : :You may (or may not) want to talk to: :

:Looks like Bezerkeley city council is opposed to trapping: :
:You may want to talk to animal control anyways. See what they :suggest.

I just called them and this is what I was told:

  1. They won't go into my attic or crawl space.

  1. I can block off the entrance suitably, but leave it open until 11:00 PM. Then close and lock it. He tells me that any animal living under the house then, be it a racoon, possum, feral cat or even a skunk (it's obviously not a skunk), would be "out foraging."

Problem solved. I asked him how I would know for sure the animal wasn't still under the house, and he just wanted me to take his word for it that it wouldn't be at 11:00 at night. I asked him if I would hear something if otherwise, and he said yes. He was sounding in a hurry to end the conversation. Anyway, I guess this is the thing to do.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

[...]

There was just a program on TV today - Nat Geo? - about trap/release possums and racoons. Said they do forage at night and that after trapping, they release them just at dusk so they go on their way with minimum distress. The program, which I didn't watch in it's entirety, was about racoons killing lots of pet cats. Pet owners outraged and upset, but not enough to keep pets indoors. Hmmm....

Reply to
Norminn

That .22LR semi auto pistol is a real good tool for relocating possum and racoons.

They never come back.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Yeah, but when (not if) you miss, you can end up relocated, and next thing you know, you're some crack dealer's bitch while you're waiting for your lawyer to get you out of jail.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I may of missed one of the posts that had the animal ID'd, but I get calls on all the animals listed below except for skunks getting into attics quite often. Was at one Thursday where the possum was climbing the wooden fence, jumping about a foot to the gutter of a detached garage, getting into that attic where a breezeway attached to the garage then following the inside of the breezeway into the house. Most of the activity heard is between the first floor ceiling and second floor, but there is possum crap in the attic above the second floor so it is making access there also.

That time frame is just a general rule, for example, Mr possum comes from under a house just after dark and only has to waddle next door 30 feet away to the neighbor's patio who keeps a full bowl of food out for fido or the area stray cats....possum gets a quick full tummy, is able to look around a bit and then get back home before 9:00 ...gets to hang around the home a few hours with time to play the video games, watch the tube a bit then waddle out again in the early morning for another snack and hunt down a possible future Mrs possum....mother nature will make a liar of you every time. If you have an obvious opening that you can get to, place a few pieces of masking tape across the opening, don't close it totally with the tape. Any animal activity will tear the tape away.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:37:24 -0600, Lar wrote:

:Dan_Musicant wrote: :> On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:21:53 GMT, M Q : :> :Looks like Bezerkeley city council is opposed to trapping: :> :

: :> :You may want to talk to animal control anyways. See what they :> :suggest. :> :> I just called them and this is what I was told: :> :> 1. They won't go into my attic or crawl space. : :I may of missed one of the posts that had the animal ID'd, but I get :calls on all the animals listed below except for skunks getting into :attics quite often. Was at one Thursday where the possum was climbing :the wooden fence, jumping about a foot to the gutter of a detached :garage, getting into that attic where a breezeway attached to the garage :then following the inside of the breezeway into the house. Most of the :activity heard is between the first floor ceiling and second floor, but :there is possum crap in the attic above the second floor so it is making :access there also. : : :> 2. I can block off the entrance suitably, but leave it open until 11:00 :> PM. Then close and lock it. He tells me that any animal living under the :> house then, be it a racoon, possum, feral cat or even a skunk (it's :> obviously not a skunk), would be "out foraging." : :> Problem solved. I asked him how I would know for sure the animal wasn't :> still under the house, and he just wanted me to take his word for it :> that it wouldn't be at 11:00 at night. I asked him if I would hear :> something if otherwise, and he said yes. He was sounding in a hurry to :> end the conversation. Anyway, I guess this is the thing to do. :> :> Dan : :That time frame is just a general rule, for example, Mr possum comes :from under a house just after dark and only has to waddle next door 30 :feet away to the neighbor's patio who keeps a full bowl of food out for :fido or the area stray cats....possum gets a quick full tummy, is able :to look around a bit and then get back home before 9:00 ...gets to hang :around the home a few hours with time to play the video games, watch the :tube a bit then waddle out again in the early morning for another snack :and hunt down a possible future Mrs possum....mother nature will make a :liar of you every time. If you have an obvious opening that you can get :to, place a few pieces of masking tape across the opening, don't close :it totally with the tape. Any animal activity will tear the tape away. : :Lar

Um, yes, I'm concerned. Last night I went ahead with the Animal Services representative's suggestion, but I altered it somewhat. My thinking was that last night was the shortest day of the year. In fact, Winter began just 1/2 hour before that guy recommended shutting the access. That's about 6 hours after dusk! I figure that since the day was the ultimate short day, I should shut the access/exit a couple of hours earlier than typical. So, around 9:15 PM, I did the deed, jamming a piece of plywood into the opening, the same piece that had come loose. I intend to make an actual door there, hinged, with a latch to insure security in the future, but in the meantime, the playwood should suffice so long as it doesn't fall off again. Of course, it's possible an animal precipitated the plywood coming off in the first place, I wouldn't know.

In fact, the guy just behind my house has a couple of dogs and may well leave food out there for them that an animal can readily eat. That might mean the animal(s) would get back under my house less than an hour after nightfall.

From the footprints I was seeing in the sifted dirt I leveled at the access/exit point, my best guess is a feral cat. It's possibly a racoon, but I didn't see the telltale claw marks racoons leave. Still, in that dirt, I can't be sure. That's why I wanted to put mud down and paper, to get accurate footprints, but I never got to that stage.

After I closed things up last night I started thinking and I had doubts. Thing it, last night happened to be not only the shortest night of the year, but it was definitely the coldest so far. At 9:15 PM it was 40 degrees out there. I'm wondering if the animal would stay under the house in the unusually cold conditions, or else, as you suggest, if it had an easy time of finding food for some reason, it may have ducked under the house for comfort and security. Therefore, the representative's assurances that the animal would be outside aren't giving me confidence an animal (maybe more than one!) isn't trapped under the house. Worst case scenario I figure is I start smelling rotting corpses and I have to go under there with a flashlight and plastic bags find the corpse(s) and bag up the rotten meat. Ugh!

I'm hoping that if there's live animal(s) under the house now it/they will make a commotion rather than just die.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Musicant