Value of items

Page 4 of 4
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:38:37 -0500, The Daring Dufas

What's little known is that the mines of today were the waste dumps and landfills of thousands of years ago. Cavemen and other primitive man used to gather bits of coal, germanium, gold, uranium, and all the other metals from all over the lands they occupied, sort them, and pile them in naturally formed fissures in the ground, what became mines in the 18th - 21st centuries.
The cavemen had no long term purpose for this gathering and depositing. It was done as recreation, like bowling, golf, and video games.
www.hobbies-and-output-of-primitive-man.com/timeline .

While at University I learned a valuable lesson about how people 'value' an item. There were two venues of classic films being shown. One was FREE, just show up and watch. The other cost a pittance, but still cost you a coin. Both venues showed relatively equal quality of films, but in the 'free' venue you could barely watch, let alone enjoy. Attendees were talking all the time, or worse, throwing paper trash about to gain some attention [much like today's internet]. In the other venue, you could hear a pin drop and really enjoy the film. The lesson? People don't value what's free. So don't give them anything. Always, always make them pay something and they will value the gift. A small sign, "Works, yours for a donation of $1.00" probably would have gotten the item into someone's hands, even stolen at least. Sorry, didn't mean to bring up the evils of presenting temptation to the weak.

On 8/28/2013 9:21 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I suppose that explains what happens to public housing units? Things are worth what you pay for them. O_o
TDD
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:21:13 -0700, RobertMacy

A corollary of the "broken windows theory".

CRTs and TVs can be taken to the recycle centre here. You go down there and there are hundreds of them in skips. Most apparently in working order.
.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The copper in the power cord is worth more than the monitor. I've put many CPUs, Monitors, and printers out for Spring pickup for the past few years and they were still there after all the scavengers got to them first.
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You should have used the CRT as a second monitor. If you don't use two you don't much see an advantage. Try using two and then take one away.
On 8/28/2013 8:32 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I usually have two set up. I play with a lot of software and I have the largest LCD in front of me then next to it a smaller 20" LCD with a real time performance monitor displayed so I can see what's going on with my system. ^_^
TDD

I've used two at work and home for 15 years. I'd be hard pressed to go back to a single monitor. In fact I'm trying to figure out how to add a third and fourth at work.
Ah, quit cloning around.

goodwills around pittsburgh pa area no longer take old style tvs
Same deal near me, in my area. So, I have to melt them down, and put them in shallow pans, for the neighbor's dogs to lick. Then, I go over to Lisa's place, and throw them in the ditch. And I leave them on the lawn for the other guy to mulch with the mower. Finely mulched, they can be sprinkled on mashed potatoes.