Value of items

...snip...

I've got that one figured out, at least for small numbers, like maybe up to

  1. On those occasions when I have tires to get rid of, I wait until the dark of night and drop them off near the service entrance of tire places where I have done business in the past. I'm guessing that they charge more for "tire disposal" than it actually costs them, so I simply try to get a better deal by having them dispose of a couple of extra tires at no charge to me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

that would be illegal to do. it's called dumping hazardous waste.

similar to people who drop off animals after hours at the animal rescue i work at. the last one i heard of was a horse tied to the front doorknob.

Reply to
chaniarts

If the OP were to call a service station and ask what their tire disposal fee is, he may find it is much cheaper than what his local refuse hauler charges. The shop my sister manages charges $5/tire versus the $25 fee typically charged by residential trash haulers in this area.

Amusingly enough, she's been having a problem with thieves stealing used tires from her business. A good many used tires still have plenty of life in them, and in tough economic times there's a lot of people willing to buy used tires cheap. She's got an arrangement with a company that actually pays her $3/tire, and comes by weekly to pick them up. So they're a moneymaker for her on both sides of the deal. But she's caught employees from the service station down the street stealing them from her trash compound. The service station sells used tires direct to the public, and when they run low they raid their competition's stockpiles. The thieves had the chutzpah to assure her that they had her shop manager's permission to take the tires, because they had no idea that that particular shop was managed by her.

It's the same issue with used batteries and discarded metal parts, of course. They're worth even more to the recyclers, so she has to keep that stuff locked up in the shop, since the metal pirates will make off with all of it otherwise.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

In this thread, I'm the OP, and I set a computer monitor out to the curb. It was still there days later, but the cord had been cut off. So, tell me why I'd call about tire prices?

I knew a guy who lost a box of tools. Some one he had met (note, I didn't say a friend of his) told his wife he said it was OK, and she let him take the tools.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:51:20 -0700, chaniarts wrote in Re Re: Value of items:

Used to be you could sell them to the dog-food factory. Now it's either put them down or drop them off with the "shelter" people who caused the problem if the first place.

Reply to
CRNG

Nobody's made it a moral issue; it's a cost and convenience issue. Putting it into conventional landfills leads to future liability issues that will be borne by the taxpayers. There are expenses related to removing hazardous waste from the normal disposal stream, so the obvious solution is to simply exclude it from that stream. But, as you noted, if you don't give people _convenient_ alternatives, they'll find another way to get rid of it. So sure, tell people it's not allowed to throw that stuff in their regular trash, but you also must provide a means to conveniently get rid of that stuff, or it will end up on the wayside. Half measures never succeed.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I thought old horses wound up at the glue factory but that was back in the old days. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've often written that today's landfills are tomorrows mines. As I've studied and read history, I've noticed that mankind uses more but wastes less. There are some interesting sites about recycling and one I read showed that most of the metal lead we use and almost ALL lead is recycled. The only things stopping the complete recycling of everything is the cost and the development of industrial methods that can implement total recycling so that the process delivers more value than the energy put into it. I'm sure a group engineers and scientists can develop a way to completely extract and separate all the component parts of trash but at what cost? O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They should use prison labor. Make them earn a small amount of their keep.

Reply to
Metspitzer

Yea, bring back slavery. Copy what The English did when America was a new world to exploit. Irish and Scotsmen who were taken as prisoners of war and those The Crown determined to be criminals were shipped to America as slaves. Of course most people won't believe that the first slaves in America were Caucasians from Europe. Heck, the government could clean out gangs from the cities with the good old "Stop and frisk" routine and if nothing illegal is found, plant something on the "suspect" and sen them off to be slave labor. Prisons could really turn into money making operations that may actually wind up needing many more inmates to do the work so any excuse to send someone to prison may become SOP. Darn, I do believe it's already going on in one form or another. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They pick em up if you stuff them inside a plastic bag and shove them in with the regular garbage. That's how I get rid of old tires since the city won't take them if I put them on the curb. If I was a tire store I'd feel bad doing that but as a once every 5 year tire disposer I could give a crap and the city is entirely too particular about the trash they deign to collect.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

With any luck, some of the inmates would get sick, and blame it on metal poisoning from the labor. And then we'd pay for their medical care for the next several decades.

I'm a believer that inmates should have some thing productive to do. Job skills, rehab, and learn a trade, and do something other than watch TV and fight with each other. However, I can also see the potential for abuse.

I saw a TV show one time, I can't remember what state. Lousiana? Does horse training at one of the prisons. Says the inmates work hard, to be part of the horse crew.

. Christ>>> I've often written that today's landfills are tomorrows mines. As I've

Reply to
Stormin Mormon