Value of bedroom/dining nook to home??

Hello,

Looking for some good advice on the following please.

I'm considering remodeling my TV room, which is approx. 12.5 x 17, into an L shaped bedroom 6.5x17 with the lower part of the L being the 12.5. The remaining space is approx 9x5.5 and it faces into the kitchen, which currently has no eating area. So this will become the dining 'nook' if you will.

I will be doing the work myself.

The question is, all things being equal, how much value can this potentially add to my home?

I've tried to find information but everything is given in recoup percentages. I don't want that because I'll be here for a long while.

In my mind I think that making a 1br into a 2 br with a dining area should count for at least 20k, but I may be delusional.

By the way, it's a condo in renovated victorian (not cookie cutter) in a nice area.

Any thoughts, comments, advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

--FB

Reply to
FrankBooth

You should ask a local real estate agent before doing this but my sense is that you will likely reduce the value. Just adding partitions to make large rooms into small ones doesn't seem to add any real value. A 6.5x17" L shaped bedroom seems less than desirable. Some prospective owners would prefer the large TV room. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Your unit is going to be worth about the same as all the other units in the area of a similar square footage. If you have the only 2 bedroom in the area it isn't going to be worth any more $.

If the 6.5 wasn't a typo, I think you may want to rethink this. That is an awfully small dimension for any room.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Neither room will be big enough. 6.5, 5.5 are very poor dimension. Even a camping trailer width is more than that. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Bedrooms, by code, have to have an egress window large enough for a fireman to enter in full gear including oxygen backpack. Put in a sleeper sofa and save yourself the trouble. A 6.5 foot wide bedroom is a waste of time.

CR

Reply to
CR

Good points. For once, we agree.

Reply to
G Henslee

I suggest starting by checking local code requirements. You may not be allowed to do what you want. Next, I suggest you may actually reduce the value not increase it. Not every change will increase value. In the end, in a situation like you have the average value of the other units will be the largest factor in the value of yours.

Note: if those new rooms don't meet code or don't meet code for say a bed room, you will not be able to sell them as such, you will still be selling a one bed room unit.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

None of us can see your house, or your neighborhood, from here. You haven't even told us where you live. A local realtor will have a decent idea of how the value of the home will be affected. Nobody here will.

And we have no idea whether you are a professional trim carpenter who also happens to be a wizard at hanging and finishing drywall, or if you're some jackleg dumba$$ who can't read a tape measure and has no idea what a level is for. If you're in the *latter* category, you might wind up *reducing* the value of the home.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Expensive houses always have large rooms. That's really what you pay for. You cannot have large rooms in a cheap house. Making rooms smaller by increasing the number of rooms, always reduces the value of a home. Cheap houses have small rooms and/or a poor floor plan.

Reply to
Walter R.