vacu-maid blew up....

My central vacuum system (vacu-maid) blew up the other day. I am thinking of just buying a nice Rigid vacuum cleaner at HD and linking it up - I know those vacuums are quiet and cheap and have a lifetime guarantee. Any opinions here?
I was looking this evening for a price on a new V-M head but I can't find anything. Anyone know a ballpark cost for those? Its the 110V version with separate canister.
Thanks!
Dean

http://builtinvacuum.com/help/vacumaid.html#motors
Abe - thanks a lot. $250 for a new motor and fan complete.

THAT SUCKS...... Oops, I guess it dont suck no more !!! <lol>

You could probably just rig up a shop vac to the system. Of course you might look into a motor rebuilding on yours. There's little else that can go wrong. Find a local motor rebuilder.
Mark
dean wrote:

They may last a long time when used as a shop vac, but I would not expect them to handle the day to day use as a central vacuum system. They also would require a control system to be added and I suspect they may not match the needs performance wise.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
This is Tuirtle.
i can see where a shop vac would not hold up like these blower kits would hold up but i just wonder how well they would stand up in that application for a replacement set up. i have a 25 gal. shop vac and it has been through a lot over the years and could stand in there MAYBE.
Just thinking again ! Watch Out !
TURTLE
Yeah I ordered a new motor for the vacumaid.
However, I did fix up the shop vac on a remote control switch, so I can turn it on after plugging in the hose to the wall. It worked ok, no better than the real vac, maybe not quite so powerful. Its a great temporary solution, but I'm still glad I ordered a new motor.
Dean
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 01:19:24 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Or a motor shop. This may well use a standard motor that they already have in stock.
There are two stores in Baltimore that sell a large variety of motors. The first one didn't have what I wanted but the second did.