V-Tech cordless phone mystery

Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using a phone line that tests OK on other phones)
Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for certain that's the kicker.
Any suggestions?
digger
digger odell wrote:

It maybe a problem with base unit not with handsets. Now latest is DECT cordless phones.

And they work GREAT!!
Probably close to a year ago I bought a four-handset, Panasonic system at Sam's Club for just under $100.
<http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Phones-Fax/Telephones/Expa ndable-Systems/model.KX-TG1034S_11002_7000000000000005702>
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 0LYCUF8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid04327520&sr=8-2>
--
:)
JR

digger odell wrote:

    Did you measure the battery voltage while it is installed? If it is much below the rated voltage, you can pretty well be assured that is a problem.

The position of the battery contacts prevent taking a voltage measurement. However, your suggestion did trigger a thought that perhaps the battery wasn't pressing securely on the contacts. So on top of the battery I folded a small strip of toiler paper (symbolizing my feeling toward the annoyances). thereby forcing the battery to press more securely. VOILA! The phone is now operational!!!
THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO KEEP ME ON TASK !!!
DIGGER

Use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:18:08 -0800 (PST), digger odell

The phone could be broken. I have a set of 3 V-tech phones and bases and chargers which someone sold me for 1 or 2 dollars. All I hoped to get was one phone and two base stations. I forget the details but if I had gotten that, I'd be using them now.
Is V-tech thought to be a good brand. My only experience is with these 3 broken ones.

re: Is V-tech thought to be a good brand.
Bought a 4-handset package a year ago. No complaints yet.
BTW - Best Buy charged the same price for the 3-handset package as BJ's charged for the 4-handset package - Buy 3, get 1 free!
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:37:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I don't know how old these are.

Good to know. OTOH Best Buy charges 20 dollars for a 2 Gig Sandisk flashdrive, and every place else seems to charge 25 to 30. Don't know abou BJ's.
This one comes with some special flashdrive software, u3, that I don't understand, but it allows one to run software right off the flashdrive with no installation to the computer. If I get it working it would be good to take my pictures and a slideshow program when I visit family out of town. 2 gig has plenty of room. I unzipped the file that was in there, but I don't have XP so I can't test any further.

I meant: I don't know how old mine are, the broken ones.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In article

Connect a KNOWN GOOD phone to the base cord that is (was?) feeding the cordless base station. It's quite possible that the cord is defective. Good luck.
--
:)
JR

No project too small

In my OP, I did indicate that this step was covered ...

On the other hand, I neglected to mention that I ALSO used a pencil eraser on the contact points, as recommended by V-Tech. What finally did work was the step reported in my above posting (#5).