Using diesel fiel in your homes oil burner/boiler

Page 2 of 2

ooglegroups.com...
Harry, please read my recent reply, then go back and re-read the two messages...if you care to that is. I'm sure you will ascertain I am the furthest thing from a ditz! :-) However should you not, that's okay too Jesus loves you and I do too God bless! Now I'm off to take a nice extremely long extra hot shower, with water heated by my lowly 5gal jug of diesel! ;-)
On 9/7/2011 10:56 AM, Andrea Parga wrote:

If you have a car you know how much it costs to operate. Just consider how much it costs to operate a liquid fuels delivery truck.
It is easy to think that the local oil company is simply putting all of the money they charge in their pocket. So you say to yourself "I ordered 100 gallons so they just made $400". Reality is they have to purchase the fuel for not much less than they are selling it to you and equipment such as the trucks and they pay someone and work on a small percentage to cover those costs.
Andrea Parga wrote the following:

Call your fuel oil company and see if they will fill 5 gallon cans at their facility. If yes, go buy some 5 gallon cans at the hardware store and do your own deliveries at your cost. They may even give you a discount because they don't have to pay all the overhead for their deliveries. I use around 4-5 gallons a day for my winter heating depending upon the outside temperature here in NY, so with 20 gallons, I'll have to make the trip at least once a week. Don't forget to add in the cost for your gasoline to make the round trip to the fuel oil company.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

om> wrote:

That is a bad idea...
There is a limit as to how much fuel/flammables you can carry around in your car without requiring a special permit/tank/inspections and the CDL with hazardous cargo endorsement...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

Exigent circumstances trumps all regulations. It's COLD, remember.

No, they don't...
Exigent circumstances don't apply in this situation...
Clearly the OP can not afford her opulent living situation given her current financial reality and needs to apply for housing assistance...
I would not want to be caught carting around too much fuel oil in the present homeland security circumstances...
A homeowners inability to properly budget for their household or live within their means so that home heating oil can be delivered by properly trained and licensed CDL drivers with hazardous materials endorsements does not nullify all of the federal and state laws regulating the transportation and storage of flammable liquids...
~~ Evan
willshak wrote:

And if she had a diesel vehicle, she could kill two birds with one bush.

om> wrote:

Wrote you a reply but alas, all was lost! Not sure why but was too lengthy to write again...the basic message was that I'm in no hole, but running out of oil on rent week necessitates the use of diesel from time to time. And lastly the distaste for greedy oil companies that impose 100 gal minimums! Why? Why not let me throw in $80 worth (that'd be around 20gals) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis? Seriously why not???

.com> wrote:

Because unlike the gas station where you buy diesel they have to send a truck out to you to deliver those 20 gallons. You may think they are greedy oil companies, but around here and in my experience, the companies making home delivery of oil are just small, local businessmen. Just like the station that pumps gas, their markup isn't much at all. I don't think a 100 gallon minimum is at all unreasonable.
And don't know what kind of oil burner/boiler you have but 20 gallons would not last long in any house I've owned. I've also seen the most problems with clogged nozzles in oil burners from situations where people regularly let the tank get empty or close to it.

You'd be amazed at how little profit they make on a hundred gallon delivery. Some want 150 gallons now. The driver's time to fill 200 gallons is not much more than pumping only 20 gallons, so the cost of the truck, insurance, wear on tires, labor, is about the same. The overhead goes up 10X with the 20 gallon delivery you want. How much of a premium would you be willing to pay for that service?
It is up to you to get some oil before the rent is due. Get on a 10 month budget plan and automatic delivery and stop worrying. Pay with a credit card and you have a month to pay the bill.
Seems like you are blaming others for your problem. You know you'll need oil so start now. Get a delivery this week, top it off before the really cold weather starts to suck it down. Another alternative is to move to a place with lower rent. Maybe a better insulated place with lower bills for heat.

Why is everybody taking this post to such an extreme? I lost my husband in Iraq a year ago okay I posted this today to get some insight on why 100 gals. all the time and got some great answers..then a glitch posted one of my replies twice in error...so one idiot says it must be my budgeting? Wth? I filled the tank with oil not too long ago and it just so happened to run out on a bad week i.e. rent, school clothes for my 14,12, and 3 year old children, so this week diesel won! Thats all I was saying!

NO, that is not _all_ you were saying. You were complaining (more than twice btw) that companies should deliver 5 or 10 gal oil for free. That is even _after_ it was explained to you (more than twice BTW).
Harry K

Well, because despite your circumstances you can still do things differently to avoid getting into that "bad week" situation.
What I don't understand is, if you don't have enough money for oil on rent week, how do you have enough money for oil any other week?
Seriously, consider moving. Oil is one of the most expensive ways to heat. You can often find apartment complexes that have central heating plants and provide heat and hot water as part of the monthly rent.
It's "do what you gotta do to survive." If one of the things you have to do is move, you have to be willing to do it. This attitude people have of living life on their terms is what's turning us into a welfare state.
On 9/7/2011 10:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunately "Andrea" can't wrap her head around the idea that the local oil company actually has to go and buy the product they are delivering to her for not much less than they are selling it to her.
Good friend has a liquid fuels business. The typical "tankwagon" truck costs $350,000. Tires are $400/each. There are expensive recurring inspections for tank integrity. Then there is really expensive mandatory hazardous cargo insurance for spills/accidents. Add in the cost of labor and the fuel to run a truck that gets 6 MPG and you wonder how they can even do 100 gallon minimum deliveries.

On 9/7/2011 11:14 AM, Andrea Parga wrote:

Lets say you bake cupcakes for extra income. You need to buy supplies etc to do it. So you only keep a small portion of the actual selling price of the cupcake. Lets say you will deliver 100 cupcakes for $100. So a customer of yours says "we would really like to have more cupcakes but didn't budget for it, so we want you you to deliver 10 cupcakes for $10". Could you do it? Would it make any economic sense to burn the same amount of fuel in your car and use the same of time to deliver 10? Remember just like the heating oil company you actually are keeping only a small portion of the selling price since you have to pay for supplies and use your vehicle to deliver the product.
Andrea Parga wrote the following:

I have a budget plan with my fuel oil company. I pay a fixed monthly payment throughout the whole year based upon the amount of fuel oil used in the past plus the anticipated cost per gallon although I only use the oil burner in the winter. The plan is reevaluated at the end of the 1 year plan period. Any overage payment is credited to my account for the next year. For me, at least, this is better than having to shell out $1,000 or more without the plan at the time of delivery. The delivery is automatic, starting in late autumn and may be topped off a couple more times during the winter months by any amount, whether or not we are home. If this would be better for you, you may check for this kind of plan with your current fuel oil company or find another that does.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY