Using diesel fiel in your homes oil burner/boiler

Page 1 of 2
I have seen many posts agreeing that the two are pretty much interchangeable. Yet most people replied that diesel is either a tad more expensive but in most areas almost the same exact price, except that diesel also has road use taxes. So why bother using diesel to heat a home? Well I can tell you exactly why in my case! I live in the Northeast (New England) and around here all oil companies have a 100 gallon minimum delivery service! (One or two will deliver 50 but with a penalty i.e. more per gallon plus a $15 delivery fee!) That being said, average per gal. around here is apx. $3.296-$3.496, it will cost you between $320-$340 per delivery! As a single mother of 3 it's not always easy to pay that much for oil since gauging it's usage to aline with my budget is nearly impossible, so in a pinch paying to fill two 5 gal cans with diesel is way better than cold showers or freezing to death waiting to save up the money for oil!
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 7, 10:16 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Thanks Chris! Is kerosene cheaper than diesel? That would be terrific! Then again I wonder if kerosene would burn quicker since it's a thinner more clarified oil? Or does that even matter?
Add pictures here
✖

It's not cheaper.
You're far better off finding the means to build a buffer of fuel oil and then start saving for the next fill up. Instead of waiting till you are out and not having the money. In the end you are paying more for the same thing. And if you have a tight budget that's not the mindset that will ever get you out of the hole.
Add pictures here
✖

om> wrote:

Ok perhaps I generalized a bit much! I'm in no hole, but there will be times when my oil runs out the same week I paid $1,400 for rent! Thus making another $300+ manifest for oil a near impossibility! But buying 5-10 gals of diesel to tie us over is fine by me, as I had originally stated, "in a pinch". Anyhow if I could prevent my hard earned money from being pocketed by these stingy oil companies forever I'd die happy! Why have a minimum 100 gal delivery at all? Why not let me throw in 20 gals for $80 or so dollars weekly or bi-weekly? Seriously, why not?
Add pictures here
✖

.com> wrote:

I thought I already covered that. What does it cost when you call anyone to your house for any kind of service today? Almost any appliance repair guy, electrician, HVAC, etc is going to have a minimum service call fee of $50+ to just show up and spend even 15 mins. To expect an oil company to provide a delivery service for $80 of oil is unrealistic. I'm beginning to think you're a troll.
Add pictures here
✖

il.com> wrote:

Hahaha! U dummies (sorry had to say it) I wasn't repeating myself! If you had read my first message correctly you all would know that the second "supposed" repetative message was in fact my original lengthy message that failed to post! Hence the quick summation of that original message in a separate post! Seems the original message finally did post! Lol! Which at a glance looked as though I was Polly the repeating parrot! I was asking that question in all honesty and some of you gave me the insight I was looking for! As for the others so quick to judge and preach about budget this and that!!! Why I even find myself compelled to respond is beyond me right now but here it is nonetheless....Not only am I a single widowed parent of 3 (my husband died fighting for our country!) my sole income is not the easiest to budget when you live check to check, I find I run out of oil unexpectedly hating the thought of entering my creepy basement to even check the gauge! Lol! The way I usually find out is one of the kids screaming because their shower just became an ice bath! So buying oil 100 gals at a time isn't always feasible for me if I've just paid rent, or more recent ly
Add pictures here
✖

mail.com> wrote:

Excuse us, but are we supposed to go back to compare all your previous posts to see which ones you made twice? And obviously it did not fail to post, it actually posted twice. So, given the circumstances I wouldn't start calling people names.

In which case it would be a good idea to point that out when you made the second post.
>Seems the original message

It did.

I'm sorry for your loss and salute your late husband for his service to the country.
I know you think those bringing up budgeting so that you don't run out of oil are being mean, but I can tell you this. In many years of experience I've found that oil burners that are allowed to run out wind up with a lot more service problems, everything from clogged nozzles to having to bleed them to get them going again. So I think the budget advice that someone else made or the idea of putting the oil delivery on a credit card etc are actually very good suggestions.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 8, 7:59 am, "Stormin Mormon"

legroups.com...
Lol! U are a riot Chris! It's true I def need to get used to my new financial situation, because moving as some suggested is out of the question! My children oldest a girl 14, my son 12, and my bonus baby girl at 2...love their school and friends, and the area of the witch city I live in is gorgeous! (hence the $1400 a month price tag!) But well worth it! Thanks again for the laugh, they have been few and far between lately! :-)
Add pictures here
✖

il.com> wrote:

School clothes! So diesel in that pinch works for me! And I get the whole service fee and cost to pay drivers etc. but I think they should have a program that allows families with low incomes to buy less oil at a time!
Add pictures here
✖
Andrea Parga wrote:

Why? List what's in it for them, other than charging their rich customers more to make up for the loss.
Add pictures here
✖

What could potentially be in it for them is a ton of new customers that would offset any potential loss they would have delivering small amounts to everyone....just a thought, what do u think?
Add pictures here
✖
Andrea Parga wrote:

I think that's what the used car dealer said, except a bit more elegantly: "We lose money on every car we sell, but we make it up in volume."
Add pictures here
✖

Good idea! Why don't you buy small quantities of fuel and deliver it as a side job. You could be *rich*!
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 22:32:09 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Supply hose? The idea isn't to compete with "Big Oil", rather to supply those who won't budget. She can just load up the junker with surplus jerry cans. Maybe the kids can sit on them.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/7/2011 10:32 PM, Andrea Parga wrote:

Would you be willing to pay the excess cost then? Supposed you called and said "bring 10 gallons over" and they said sure but we need to charge $30 more for such a small delivery. Remember the oil delivery company isn't putting all of that money into their pocket as you imagine. Their driver takes the truck to the fuel depot and fills it and they pay not much less for the oil than they charge you.
Add pictures here
✖

.com> wrote:

Because their profit margin on the $80 worth of oil is probably $5 or $10. They have to buy fuel for the truck, pay the guy that drives the truck and keep the truck in repair. Why should they lose money because you can't manage your money?
Add pictures here
✖

.com> wrote:

The true answer to your problem is BUDGET. Put aside money to get a full delivery out of each pay check and don't touch it for anything else. Basically your outlook is that yu are somehow not over paying for fuel by buing 5-10 gals. WRONG you are paying a premium.
Others have answered you question about the fee for delivery. Because is costs the company money to run the truck out to your place and they are not going do it for free for a few gallons because you can't budget your finances.
Sorry for the rather harsh tone but others have tried to say it nicely and you are _still_ saying the same thing.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/7/2011 1:24 PM, Harry K wrote:

I agree, she has to budget. She could also put on a credit card and only differential would be interest which would be less than the minimum penalty.
I've seen neighbor carting 5 gal cans of kerosene up the hill in the winter because he failed to put in enough buffer of oil for the days the trucks could not get up our hill. Stupid.
Add pictures here
✖

.com> wrote:

This is not a "hey i can use diesel fuel instead of No 2 oil" thing...
This is a basic Home Budgeting 101 issue...
Put $100 a week into an envelope marked "heating oil"...
That way when the oil runs out at the end of the month, you have the money saved up for it...
Your problem *IS* financial -- poor budgeting... Your oil tank is how many gallons ? 250 ? Buying the minimum they will deliver also seems to be part of your problem...
Buy a $5 timer and time the showers and improve your budgeting skills...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 7, 12:06 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

glegroups.com...
How many times do you have to be told? BECAUSE IT COSTS THEM TOO MUCH MONEY TO RUN THE FRIPPING TRUCK OUT TO A DITZ THAT ONLY WANTS 10 GALLONS.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖