Using A Not-Correct Sparkplug in Snowblower ?

Hello,

Can't get snowblower going, and think it needs a new sparkplug, perhaps.

Thought I had a replacement spark plug for snowblower, but apperently do not.

Have a new one for the Lawnmower, though.

Any danger in trying it in the snowblower ? What "might" happen" ?

Might piston at top dead center hit it, or... ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

That potential problem can be avoided by making sure the replacement isn't longer than the original. As long as it's not and it otherwise fits, I'd use it.

Reply to
trader_4

If the mower one is longer, perhaps might impact. Some times a wire brush will clean a spark plug. Quick spray of ether or carb cleaner will help rinse out the carbon fouling. I've also used a stiff wire to scrape em out. I use a give away key ring bent straight with pliers.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And possibly burn up the engine if the plug is not the correct heat range .

To the OP - clean that old plug up with a wire brush , open the gap just enough to file the tip of the electrode flat (points file works swell) and regap it . That should get you by until you can get a new plug - which you should do as soon as you can - BUY TWO and put the extra where you can find it . I have small plastic boxes (useta hold wet wipes at a nursing home) that are dedicated to one type of machinery's small parts . One for the chainsaws/weedeater , one for the tractor , one for electronic components (voltage regs/resistors/caps) and another for OA tips/flux/etc . Butter tubs work too ... yogurt cups , cottage cheese , any number of small plastic containers from pill bottles to ice cream gallon tubs , they're all over the house if you look .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Good advice and one can estimate the heat range by simply comparing the two

If the new one looks the same and is gapped the same it should /probably/ be all right.

However if the plug in there is not too bad though I'd clean and re-use.

Possibly: The snow blower might just need to be primed

Reply to
philo

I use a propane torch. Heat the tip/insulator untill all the carbon burns off and the insulator is white. With leaded gas sometimes the tip would go yellow/green if there was too much sulphur in the gas. Semi-conductor (Lead sulfide?) plugs don't fire too well. (ever heard of Galena? it was used as the detector in a lot of old "cat's whisker" crystal radios of yesteryear.)

Reply to
clare

BS. Show us one snowblower engine that's been burned up by using a spark plug with the wrong heat range for a few hours. It doesn't happen, despite your attempt at FUD.

.
Reply to
trader_4

I totally agree, unless the new plug is longer put it in and move the damn snow. Sometime in the future and at your convenience you should probably grab the correct plug.

Reply to
IGot2P

It appears neither of you knows much about IC engines . I stand by my statement , it is a possibility . Might not be likely , but possible . "Hey Bubba , these here plugs iz only a little shorter than the plugs we took outta your Triton motor , less use 'em !"

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Hi, Another thing to consider is plug heat range. If it is too hot or too cold, engine may not run well. Always you can choose regular one or hotter or colder one with same plug model. For temporary replacement if it fits and not too long, I'd use it until correct one is available.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Wake up Tony...that's what they were just talking about! Snowblower and Lawnmower spackplugs are virtually the same. I bought a snowblower that a kid put a car plug in...broke the camshaft and bent the valve. It's still working 22 yrs later.

Reply to
bob_villa

I must be from New England, 'Spackplugs'!

Reply to
bob_villa

not thought of that for cleaning spark plugs. Have to try that some day. Yes, I'd heard of galena. Some times there was enough of an impurity on the surface, you could use small wire, and make a sort of diode out of it. was too much sulphur in the gas.

Center posted as courtesy.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most small engine plugs are similar. Especially if they are either 2 or 4 cycle types. If the heat range is not hot enough they may foul out after a while and need cleaning. If too hot they may burn the piston. Not sure how much hotter or colder they need to be and how long the engine would need to be ran to do either. If much shorter the spark may not be in the right place for the engine to run or run very well. If it were mine, I would check to see if the part in the cylinder was longer. If not, I would try it and change it out at the first time I could.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The gap will not effect the heat range. It mainly determins if the engine will run or not run. Too far open and there will not be enough voltage to jump the gap and you mght as well not have the wire connected to the plug. Too close and there may not be enough spark to ignite the fuel.

If you look at most plugs of the same general type, the heat range is sort of determined as to how long the part that is outside the cylinder is. That is the usually white material between where the wire is and the top of the engine.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

One thing I never understood about spark plugs, is WHAT DETERMINES THE HEAT RANGE? Is it the length of the spark, (but that would be the gap), or a built in resistor to cut down on the spark voltage, or what?

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Neither. The heat range is how hot in temperature the plug gets. Mainly the length of the length of the plug sticking out of the engine to the plug wire. Too cold and carbon or other junk builds on the plug usually shorting out the spark. Too hot and the engine will not shut off when you cut the power to the plug off. Makes it a diesel type engine.

The resistor part is to help supress electrical noise that you may hear on a radio. Same as resistor wiring in a car that goes to the plugs.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hi, After fix , you mean. My snow thrower, weed sacker, lawn mower don't share sae size plugs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, My understanding is how much plug body retains heat. Nowadays we have Platinum or Iridium plugs which lasts LONG time. I usually roast old plug laying on the rnage heating element. The when it is still pretty hot install it ahs try to start the engine.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Isn't that called electrode projection?

Too