Use old vinyl floor as template for new?

I'm looking at installing a new sheet vinyl floor in my kitchen, breakfast nook, and laundry room (one long piece of vinyl).

Most sources suggest DIYers make a paper template for the new vinyl. But the previous vinyl floor was professionally installed, all in one piece. It is cut perfectly.

Why not pull up the old floor and use it as the template for the new one? I haven't found anybody to recommend that so there must be a reason.

Thanks.

Reply to
timeOday

If you can get it up in one piece w/o streching it, go for it. Most pro installers I have seen cut slightly oversize, and then roll back edges and backcut.

With the sad results I have had the few times I tried vinyl, I have consigned it to the 'pay a pro' category. They make it look so easy, and if they screw up, they pay for the replacement stock.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Pulling it up in one piece would be the problem. Depending on the age and spreading of the glue chances are you would be lucky to get it up in a dozen pieces. Often new vinyl is simply installed over the old, partly out of convienience and partly if the house is old the vinyl (or linoleum & cement) could contain asbestos. Usually a vinyl or wood cove border will cover a host of imperfections at the edge. If there is no room for error measure thrice and cut once. (I have caught myself repeating the same mistake with only a second measurement on critical cuts such as these). Also dont forget that the walls are almost never square so make multiple measurements along the length of a wall.

Reply to
ceraboy

You're not kidding. I'd assumed it would be like pulling up carpet, but it was more like pulling off wallpaper. It took me 2 hours to scrape up

2 square yards. That's OK for the 5'x6' bathroom I'm practicing on, but I may have to rethink the big area. I didn't want to raise the floor but sheesh.
Reply to
timeOday

So you found the reason. I've not had problems in the past with the template, provided you take the time to do a good template. Decent paper (good kraft paper or something similar) is a good start.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

The template method works great. You just need to make sure you're using a thick kraft paper and lots of masking tape. (don't use old newspapers or toilet paper.)

Reply to
davefr

Hire it out. I just had a bathroom done that was about 5X9. Total cost for vinyl, underlayment, carpet removal, a couple chunks of cove base, and vinyl installation was $270. The vinyl itself was a 5yr warranty type @ 1.30 /sq ft. Thinking of doing the kitchen and dining area too, estimate was between $1,000 and $1,100 for that using the same vinyl, area is approx 23 x 14. With prices like those I won't screw with it myself. These guys did a fantastic job too, been in business for 30+ years. But then, labor is generally inexpensive here, plumbers/HVAC and electricians charge around $35/hr.

Reply to
J Kelly