"Upside Down" Receptacle Installation

Page 1 of 2
I've got a really old combination electrical receptacle that's failing and needs to be replaced. It's configured with the outlet above the switch. However, all the current models I've found have the switch on top. Unfortunately,for my application, I need the outlet on top.
The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any electrical codes?
--
In my old age, I'm suffering from memory loss....I'm also suffering from
memory loss.

How do you know which is the top to begin with? The code is silent on the issue.
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 12:32:20 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'll take a guess here:
He is looking at grounded combination receptacles and visualizing the "old school" ground hole on the bottom installation method.
If he adopts the ground hole on top method, he will not only end up with the receptacle on top, but he will have moved into modern times. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

Although I suspect the code would frown on the switch being positioned such that you flip it down to turn it on (unless you're in europe :-).
The orientation of the u-ground pin doesn't matter, although by preference I like to see it at the top (for when metal items fall on an incompletely inserted plug).
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 1:53:41 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Why would code frown on "down is on"? Doesn't that happen with 3 way switch installations quite often?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:36:38 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

Roughly 50% of the time?
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-6, Scott Lurndal wrote:

When you have an outlet and a switch...doesn't the switch go from side to side (not up/down)?
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 3:19:14 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

I'm guessing that would depend on which way you mount the device, vertically or horizontally.
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 2:50:46 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

...sounds like he's talking "box the long way/vertical"...then the switch would turn-off on a horizontal plane.
| The question is-- can I mount it upside down without violating any | electrical codes? |
It's not illegal where I live, but I wonder if you might want to reconsider. There's a reason that the switch is usually on top: With the receptacle on top you're likely to have a wire in the way of the switch.
On 12/14/2015 12:20 PM, Mayayana wrote:

I used to have one of those (combination switch/receptacle) with the switch on the bottom. This device was mounted below a low window and normally used with a cord going out the window for holiday lights.
I removed this when I installed GFCIs for the lights.
--
11 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

You can use one of these and mount it with the switch on the bottom.
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=X7299-W&sectione727&minisite251
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:39:49 -0500

You can phone your local inspector and ask him/her/shim to come look and tell you what you MUST do.
On 12/14/2015 9:39 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

You can ("legally") mount it sideways, upside down -- probably inside-out if you could figure out how to insulate the contacts! :>)
Note that all of our (vertically oriented) *outlets* here are arranged with the earth ground at top (like an upside down smiley face -- instead of the smiley face that most folks seem to prefer). Inspectors have noticed this but never complained.
[If you're observant, you'll notice this is the orientation in most hospitals, etc.]

It wont matter how it's mounted as long as it's wired properly and no connections are exposed. The code dont specify anything in regard to mounting positions.
I once lived in a rental house that had 2 switches that were upside down. (not 3 way). That was not a code violation, but it irritated me, so I reversed them. Except for 3 way switches, they should always go UP to turn a light ON. That's just the way it is, and what we're accustomed to. However, electrically, they work the same way.
On 12/14/2015 6:50 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

I stopped to help a couple guys jump start a car. "Black for positive, and...."
Took a lot of effort not to say some thing.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, December 14, 2015 at 6:28:51 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...and this has something to do with the question at hand?

I heard that in England the light switches are usually down for on.
Where I worked the last large 480 volt disconnects to get in to electrical cabinets were color coded so green was off and red was on. They said the green ment it was safe to go into the cabinet and the red ment danger or not safe to go into because the power was still on. That stuff came from Europe.
When a company has 2 different standards, they would be beter just painting over them with the same color as the cabinet.

The "up" as "on" goes way back to the days of knife switches.
The powered line supply entered from the bottom, and you pushed the knife handle "up" to energize the wiring heading over to the monster's table...
On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 23:01:51 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

They have switches that are off, up in New Zealand too.