Upgrading Bathroom Exhaust Fan with 3 inch ducts

Hi, I am looking to upgrade the cheap builder installed exhaust fans in my bathrooms. They are incredibly loud. I can find lots of nice quiet ones, but they all required 4 inch (or greater) ducts. The only 3 inch duct vents I can find are...cheap and loud.
Does anyone know of a decent fan that will work with 3 inch ducts?
Thanks Steven
Steven wrote:

One reason they are quieter is because of the larger ducts. That and they generally also move more air.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
I think you can get an adaptor that will connect the 4" to the 3". It will make the fan a little louder than it should be, but if you buy a good quality quiet fan it will be a lot quieter than the cheap one you have now. Have you checked out the Panasonice "Whisper" fans? They're the wuietest (and most energy efficient) on the market. They're expensive, but good. Good luck.

Remi wrote:

bath exhaust fans are a bad idea anyway for a home...
in the winter they draw heated moist air outside,,,,instead... after your shower, just open the inside door and keep that warm moist air in your house..
in the summer, open a window...
if your using central AC in the summer, you are still better off closing the AC vent in the bath and opening the window...
Mark
May be he is trying to remove the smell instead of moist warm air.

Mark wrote:

For the home as a whole, your comment makes some sense. However since that warm moist air stuck in the smallest room in the house means mold and mildew, they do make sense. Even your examples do not apply at all likely combinations of conditions.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Use a 4 inch duct nothing less than 125cfm,s to make it worthwhile and insulate the duct if you live where it snows Joseph Meehan wrote:

Not sure I can buy into that one.

While higher humidity can make it feel warmer, that moisture in a tightly insulated house can raise hell in various ways. In cold climates it can contribute quite a bit to icing windows.

Yea I picked up an hard plastic adapter for a buck or two at the Borg.
When I got the fan, I noticed they had a noise rating on the boxes or display.
for quietest installation the fan goes in the attic and the intake feeds to it from the bathroom. see:Bathroom Exhaust Fans: http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php/cPath/30_85 "A sone is a measure of loudness. The higher the sone rating the louder the sound. Understanding how loud an exhaust fan will be can be difficult, largely because bathroom exhaust fans are measured in sones, while most common noise levels we are familiar with are measured in decibels. Scientifically, one sone equals 40 phons, which is the loudness of a 1,000 hertz tone at 0 decibels above our threshold hearing level. The relationship between phons and decibels is not one-to-one (affected by, for instance, frequency), but for our purposes we will assume that decibels are roughly equivalent to phons. The chart below compares the sound level of a sampling of exhaust fans with the sound level of a number of other common sounds. Sone
0.3     Panasonic 60 cfm FV05VQ2 Fan 0.5     30 Phons 0.5     Rustling Leaves 1.0     40 Phons 1.0     A Quiet Refrigerator 1.5     Panasonic 100 cfm FV11VQ2 Fan 2.0     50 Phons 2.0     Quiet Home 3.0     Panasonic 380 cfm FV40VQ3 Fan 3.0     Normal Office 4.0     60 Phons 4.0     Nornal Television Volume Note that two sones are twice as loud as one sone, three sones are twice as loud as two sones, four sones are twice as loud as three sones, and so on."
Steven wrote:

Steven wrote:

The Panasonic Whisper fans are outstanding!
Check out https://www.westsidewholesale.com / for some excellent information and prices (under Heating and Ventilation)
They also sell the duct adaptors for 4" to 3"