Underpnning Existing Foundation and Structure

Hello All,
Hoping I can get some valuable advise on a future project.
I have a 50 year old ranch style home with full basement. The basement only has a ceiling height of aobut 7'7"
We have construction plans to add about 900 sq. ft of basement.
The new basement will be 13 coarse block wall which means the footers need to be below the level of the footers of the existing structure
I have had 2 contractors bid on the job.
One has said to just dig footer adjacent to existing footers and foundation while the other has said to underpinn the existing structure with the new footers and foundation.
What direction do I go and why? Which is more costly?
Please help
TRU
TRUWEBS wrote:

Probably varies with local codes and/or local soil conditions. I've seen lotsa owner-built additions where it wasn't, and it should have been. Tying the footers and foundations together will cost more, but will make it harder for the old and new parts to shift in different directions with settling, frost heave and ground tremors.
This is one of those situations where you need to talk to local code office and perhaps pay for the expertise of a local engineer. I'd start by carrying the working drawings and the estimates into the local inspector's office, and asking for a few minutes of his time. A lot easier to change things on paper, than to try and retrofit rebar dowels in the field after the concrete is in.
-- aem sends...

Thank you for the response. I will take my drawings to the city engineer shortly.
Also if poured concrete is available in your area, skip the block.
Further unless the soil is extremely sandy, now is the time to consider a perimeter drain system for the house.