Two Residential HVAC bids: Request for comments

Page 2 of 2

Supposedly, they sell more than anyone else in the industry.

Other manufacturers offer extended warranties also. Check them out to before you decide.
I know it's been said a hundred times, but:
Who installs the unit is 95% of the job. Not the brand name.
It's just me, but I would personally never own a Goodman........
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:17:29 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

First I look at the standard warranties (when I can find 'em).
Then I look at the x-warranties. In general, they are limited to 10 years?
Given I don't buy junk and get a good install, I'm primarily worried about the second 10 years, not the 1st. But I'd welcome a 10-yr warranty on a potentially leaky A-coil (if reasonably priced).

I'll bite. How do I find the good one(s)? Folks that installed the old stuff (AC leaked for 18 years) were well known and established ("since '46"). They quoted the current bids. What do I do? Go to the BBB with a handful of local names and find the one with the fewest complaints?

I'm strongly inclined to concur.
Thanks, Puddin'
*** Puddin\' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***

I know it sounds like a cliche, but...
"Ask your friends and neighbors...."
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:55:03 GMT, "Dr. Hardcrab"

Well, I will.
But I'm thinkin' maybe I should also get a weegee board, a crystal ball, skin/cook/eat a black cat, etc. Maybe a mojo hand would hep' ...
Cheers, Puddin'
*** Puddin\' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
wrote

Not sure about Mojo, but I know Howard Johnson's got his HoJo workin'......
;-]

sell you will be 13 after the first of the year. A tax credit for energy efficiency improvements is slated for 2006 also. May replace my 21 year old York electric-gas package next spring....
--
Mr.E

FWIW, my SE Michigan home is small like yours, 760 sq ft; my Kenmore ac unit is 1.5 ton and is more than enough. It's been three years now, not a peep of trouble (knock on wood). Gets humidity down to 35%, even when stat is set at 78F. It is very quiet; paid a bit extra for a screw-type piston because it was outside my bedroom window. Well worth it.
I had bad experience with a Janitrol ac at last house, 1500 sq ft/1.5 ton. It got noisy and needed charged every summer, yet nobody could find a leak or problem. And it couldn't keep up during the hottest days (95+), it would run almost constantly. Neighbors there bought a Janitrol too, it died after six years.
No way will I ever consider a Janitrol again. Junk.

Janitrol _is_ no more.

They don't. They just offer the lowest price to start with.

Janitrol was made by Goodman, who also made Goodman and GMC(Goodman Manufacturing Co). All three brands were the same unit. They retired the Janitrol brand, but still make Goodman and GMC. If you buy a Goodman, you will be getting a Janitrol by another name.
Stretch

Thats like saying Ruud ahd Rheem are the same thing or Bryant and Carrier or whatever. There's High end and low end. Janitrol was low end and they quit making them. I know you already know that. And what kind is GMC? Aren't they trucks? Tomorrow I'm going to ask the distributor what GMC is.

Most of them are!! Ruud and Rheem build identical units, The only difference between them are the first letter of the model number! I installed a AC condenser the other day that came with Weather King labels on it, and Ruud and Rheem labels in the package! Greg

An 800 square foot house will not use much gas to heat it as you have seen. The differences between a 80% and 90% as far as reliability is zip. Most all 80% furnaces are as complicated as the standard 90% units. All have ventor motors, pressure switches and control boards. I would consider a 90% furnace in your case as it gets cold enough to use it allot. A two stage 80% may save you a bit on your gas bill as it will run more on first stage in warmer weather and cycle less. As far as AC I would look at either a 10 or 12 SEER if you run it as little as you say. Get more bids! Greg
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

You might do well to get a window air conditioner at Walmart - not very expensive like $150 or so. I would stick it in your bedroom window. Leave it on with door open during days and it should keep the whole house cool. Then close door at night and just cool the bedroom.
Then just get a new central heating system. Could save you a lot of $$ both with the install and on your electric bill during the summer.

If your money is tight I would put electric heaters where needed and use the gas furnace for the coldest weather. Electric is not cheap but you get 100%.
I also would not give any contractor any money until they showed up with some goods. Then only enough to prove you intend to pay up when done. Do not let them get ahead of you or you have no power. If you find a contractor that won't do that they keep looking, that guy probably won't be around for service in years to come again anyhow.
Tom