Two adjacent ceiling lights. Need two ceiling boxes?

I've installed a pendant light fixture onto the preexisting plastic ceiling box. Now I need to install another similar fixture several feet (1'-4') away from the first. According to code, do I need a second ceiling box or can I make an opening in the drywall and fish Romex in the ceiling to the adjacent box for coupling?
If the latter is per code, that means I'm allowed to make a connection using wire nuts without the connection being contained inside a ceiling/junction box?
TIA

By code, you cannot make any wiring connections outside a box, so yes, you need a second box.
nate
Based on your statement, could I instead use the fixture's wiring for routing to the adjacent box and make the connections there? My only concern is that this wiring is not Romex.

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction box the canopy is attached to. YOU NEED A SECOND BOX. Period.
--
Regards,
Second box it is. Thank you both!
Doug Miller wrote:

It is not 100% clear to me what the OP is trying to do, but although a little ugly, he might be able to use Panduit/Wiremold like stuff to achieve his goals.

Maybe I'm confused, but if your putting in a second fixture, doesn't that fixture need a second box to fasten on to? Otherwise, what holds it? Seem straightforward that you would put in a second box and then attach second lighting fixture to it.
Trad... The light fixture is not too heavy so, while not ideal, I'd probably get away supporting it by drywall alone.
Doug... I've looked at the different boxes at Lowes and the only one I can see working for my application is the one w/ three ears that open up on the other side of the ceiling and act as a vise to clamp the drywall. Would that be per code? Are there any better solutions for pre-existing ceiling installs? I'm limited on my options as I will have a specific place where the box will have to mount and I might not be lucky enough to get a stud there. Here's a link to a similar light I'm installing. I plan to have two of these in one row.
http://www.lumens.com/lumens/assets/product_images/PAAAIALPMNGELODH.jpg
On Nov 12, 3:46 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

If you have access from above, you can install blocking between the joists to support the box wherever you want.
If you don't have access from above, you can use a "fan box" with a brace. You cut the hole in the ceiling where you want the box, slide the brace assembly through the hole and lengthen the brace until it bites into the adjoining joists. Then you attach the box to the brace.
Cheers, Wayne

Yes, absolutely -- that's exactly what those boxes are made for.

Not really -- that's quite good enough.

You should be fine. Drywall is capable of supporting a lot more weight than many people think.
--
Regards,
Wayne... This will be in the living room and there is a bedroom above it, so I won't have access to studs. But the fan box is a great idea. I saw them at the store, but wasn't sure how they expand to bite into the studs. Looks like there's a mechanism that when tightened, expands the brace. If not that, then I'll just support the weight on the drywall alone.
On Nov 13, 7:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

NO. Fixture wiring is allowed only inside the fixture canopy and the junction box the canopy is attached to. This does not include Panduit, Wiremold, etc.
The OP needs a second box. Period.
--
Regards,