TV to quit waking baby, bothering neighbors ...

Page 1 of 2
"Listen up, TV advertisers: Big Brother is muting you! Well, not entirely. But beginning at midnight tonight, new Federal Communications Commission rules will bar television networks from blasting viewers with those excessively loud, screamy commercial breaks. At last you can retrieve your sanity from Empire Carpet and the KIA Hamsters. (The rules will not, however, get those damn kids off your lawn.) Adopted a year ago Thursday, the rules "will require commercials to have the same average volume as the programs they accompany," the FCC says. "
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/12/loud-tv-commercials-outlawed-fcc-rules

I wonder if the FCC requirement applies to Internet commercials/advertising also?

I sort of doubt it.
My friend says there even louder than TV commercials, but it's only been a day and she hasn't said if they've changed.
Per HeyBub:

I'm still amazed to hear that people still listen to commercials - especially political ones, but commercials in general.
It's been so many years since I've listened to more than 10 seconds of *any* commercial I can't even recall.
The Mute button has been available longer than a lot of viewers have been alive, not to mention Tivo and the various PC-based functional equivalents.
I must be out of touch because I would think that the whole TV/advertising paradigm should have been in big trouble by now.
--
Pete Cresswell

It's an interesting question what the extent of the impact DVR's is having on advertisers. I have TIVO and for a' decade now I've watched probably 95% of my TV time delayed, skipping commercials. I agree with you that you would think it must be having a significant impact by now.
Per snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

My prediction would be that commercials will become less intrusive and more entertaining.
When we used to visit the in-laws in Germany years and years ago, for some reason commercials were not played during shows.
Instead, all the commercials were lumped back-to-back during a certain time of day.
Sounds crazy, but those commercials were entertaining in and of themselves and people actually used to watch them.
--
Pete Cresswell

I've read that alt hough people like funny commercials, they're not good at seling the product.

Per micky:

The flip side of that seems tb that obnoxious commercials can sell.
The story I heard is that the makers killed that commercial where the kid whines "More park sausages mom..." because so many people found it offensive - and sales went down.
--
Pete Cresswell

What's offfensive about it!!!!?
That he whines? That he's asking his mom, not his dad, for lunch?

OMG, if you heard it you'd cringe. The obnoxious sounding kid would grate on your nerves. IIRC, they later added "please" at the end so he sounded less demanding.
I had their scrapple once and it sucks.
Per micky:

I think it had tb heard tb appreciated.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:44:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

This might be an example of the more entertaining of them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_0afWepgRI

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:44:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Just seeing the products and logos as they whizz by in fast forward has just as much of an effect on the average consumer as a 15-second commercial.
Bet if you speed through a commercial break on the DVR, you can name at least three products that were advertised during that break even though you didn't hear a word.
Per snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com:

three products that were advertised during that break even though you didn't hear a word. With disc-based DVRs the viewer does not see anything because it jumps a set amount of time rather than fast-forwarding. Fast Forward is typically also available, but is not something one would use to skip commercials. _Personally I don't think I've ever used it except accidentally.
Typically there are two programmable buttons: "Long Jump" and "Short Jump".
I've got mine set to 1 minute and 10 seconds respectively.
Commercial comes, I typically hit 1-minute 5 times and then skip back a few 10-second jumps. You get a feel for the commercial lengths on various shows.
OTOH, some products (MythTV is one) have add-ons that somehow spot commercials and never even record them. I used to use MythTV and can testify that the auto-skip-commercials thing works.
--
Pete Cresswell

three products that were advertised during that break even though you didn't hear a word.

Replay TV had auto commercial skip on it's 45xx and 5xxx machines and Sonic Blue got sued out of existence over it.
It would skip any 30 second spot. Unfortunately it did not work on these mini infomercials we see these days that go a couple minutes
I'm glad to see that they're finally getting rid of those loud commercials. It was annoying to have to continuously adjust the volume to account for the commercials being louder than the rest of the programming.
Does anyone know how many minutes of commercials TV networks are allowed to run during the day. Sometimes you sit down to watch TV and there's nothing but commercials on.
--
nestork

the problem is that the the "solution" the stations are using is instead of lowering the commercial average loudness to match the shows, they are compressing the shows to make them louder to match the commercials so now EVERYTHING IS COMPRESSED AND LOUD ALL THE TIME and sounds terrible even if you turn down the volume. Its not about the peak levels, those are well controlled, its more about the density of the sound.
Google "loudness wars" the same thing has happened to CDs in the recording industry.
Mark

Is that compression the thing that makes some TV shows have such loud background music you can't hear the conversations the actors are having?
I can't believe how much background conversation completely disappears. I notice it on all the CSI's- some ABC show, and an HBO & Show time series. [Boardwalk Empire has *a bunch* of stuff going on that I'd never know about without closed captioning]
Jim

Oh good. I'm not the only one who has a problem with that. I actually stopped watching most current TV programming specifically because the annoying "background music" is in fact foreground noise that completely mask just about ALL conversation between the actors. It's really bad when they run the bass for dramatic effect. Too bad that all that dramatic effect eliminates the ability to follow the story,
On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:33:57 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

I don't know if it relates to compression, but I have the same problem. I especially notice it on Law & Order, which is NBC,. and there have been other shows too on occasion.
It also doesn't help that I record 90% of what I watch on a DVDR with hard drive, and I use the most space-saving method, SLP I think, so replay is surely worse than live. Sometimes whole syllables are missing.

That's exactly my reaction to what Jim said. I went to an ear doctor this year, at age 65, for the first time in my life (unless they tested us in grammar school), and a pretty girl played tones in my ears, and they said I have some hearing loss, but the biggest problem is with the background music, and you two make me think that's the tv-show's fault and not mine.
I lalso find I can understand men better than women on the radio, especailly the BBC, where the hosts have British accents and t he guests are sometimes from India, Kenya, South Africa etc. and are even harder to understand. .

I think Lqw & Order didnt' do this when it started 20 years ago, and may have stopped. I noticed it most 4 to 2 years ago. I'll pay more attention.