Tv Antenna question

I just put a rotor on my tv antenna. I forgot to look what direction I had the antenna pointed before I took it off the mast. The rotor manual says to point it North when I install it. My question is which end should point North? The antanna (like all of them) are shaped like and arrow (the long bars form the arrow), and it has a tail (the real short bars which form a wedge). Should the "arrow" (long bars) point north, or the tail? In other words, which end should point to the station I want to receive?
Thanks Alvin
The section of the antenna with the short bars should point toward the TV transmitter. The long bars are reflectors which, as the name suggests, reflect bits of the signal back to the "front" of the antenna.
TKM

snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

On multi element antenna short element is called director(front side) and long one is reflector(back side). Director side should point to North which is reference bearing. Set the rotor to North and mount the antenna pointing North. In your reference tail should point North.
A bit of advice about the rotor...
If you imagine the rotor is like a clock and 12:00 is North, and when the rotor turns fully clockwise, it stops at North. And to get to say the 1:00 position, the rotor would need to turn almost fully counter-clockwise. Note that these rotors turn quite slowly.
Then say before installing, you connect the rotor control to the rotor, then power it up and rotate the rotor to North as indicated on the rotor control.
Then install the rotor on the roof with the antenna pointing North.
Then say you have some TV stations at 11:00 and other stations at 1:00. You will need to activate the rotor control to rotate the antenna almost fully counter-clockwise to get to 1:00! And this will take a long time for the antenna to rotate all the way around!
So if you have stations at 11:00 and at 1:00, then make "North" be maybe 2:00. Then you can go back and forth between 1:00 and 11:00 much more quickly. You can ignore the directions on the rotor control and just mark (with marker or sticky tape) where various stations are on the dial.

Look up Yagi Antenna on Wikepedia (or elsewhere) if you want some theory.
Beachcomber