Turn thermostat down or leave steady?

Page 3 of 6

I've seen some very frightened red lights.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:26:33 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

I got into the habit of taking the stairs. Often it's quicker, and it's good exercise. Bonus points for being spotted by the same person at either end and claiming you have teleportation powers :-)
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:26:52 -0500, Jules

One time I entered an old 4-floor building. Someone had just got on the elevator (there was just one) so I took the stairs. I got to the 4th floor and waited for the elevator to get there.
BTW, that reminds me of the time I went to the hospital after a friend was taken away in an ambulance. I got there first.

Mark Lloyd
Was the bambulance going all out, or just routine transport?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It was an emergency. Someone had a stroke.

Mark Lloyd
Bother! What, did you take the subway or something?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I walked half a block home, then drove to the hospital, through normal traffic for the time (about 6PM) and didn't do anything dangerous.

Mark Lloyd
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:32:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

I've noticed with my computer that if the key doesn't work, I hit the key harder and then it does. :)
On Oct 29, 11:29pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

Try telling them that the thermostat is just a switch (on-off) not a "gas pedal" like in their car. cheers Bob
A very few furnaces (furnai?) are two stages. And some heat pumps have second stage "emergency heat".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oklahoma Natural Gas, turning down the thermostat 10 degrees for 8 hours per day will lower your bill by 10%. I'm not sure the bill itself will go down that much since part of the bill is a fixed rate operating cost, but the usage part should drop. And if you can't believe the gas company who can you believe.
Bill
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Of course. You set it back for sure.
On Oct 29, 8:22am, "Stormin Mormon"

I think it would depend on how long you are going to be out of the house. I wouldn't turn it down if I am only out for an hour but if your are going to be out for 8 hours it might be a good idea.
David

In terms of saving energy, the energy savings start as soon as the house cools to the point that the heat would have come on had it not been turned down. From that point on, you are saving energy. Whether it makes enough difference to make it worthwhile depends on how long it's turned down for.
If you turn it down to 62 overnight instead of 72 and it's 25 outside, no question you are saving energy and that gas company estimate of about 10% sounds in the ball park.
As someone already pointed out, the governing factor here is that the rate of heat loss is directly proportional to the temp difference between inside and out, at least excluding the heat loss due to actual air leakage.
The only other issue that comes into play would be if there are differing energy costs or different fuels involved. For example, if you had a heat pump and electricity costs less at night than in the morning, then that could easily negate the effect. Or if when you set it back, in the morning a different fuel source kicks in during recovery, etc.
I think the lower temp is a savings, however long.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My experiments say yes. We have 3 zones, and 2 are on setback thermostats, these 2 parts of the house are the least used, so I use extreme setback down to 50 on heat and up to 90 on AC. Still when we use them the unit has kicked on so no inconvenience except on the occasional trip through during the setback. My savings are well over the 10% mentioned, and my propane man is getting upset, hardly worth the stop anymore. (125 gal Feb thru October, mostly used to cook, heat water, dry clothes. My electric bill is also down over 1/3. I started this when energy prices spiked last year, and it has worked so well I will continue. It takes a lot of BTUs to get a room to room temperature after an extreme setback, but apparently not as many as keeping it there.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

OK, let's have that point of view now.
Poll question:
How many guys here have wives who mistakenly think that when warming up a cooled down house the rate of temperature increase of a typical home heating system will be faster if they shove the thermostat setting all the way up to 90F than if they just move it to the appropriate setpoint.
Then of course they forget to reset it when the place reaches a comfortable temperature and wait for the man of the house to snarl, "Why the hell is it so damn hot in here?"
And visa versa for A/C of course.
It can't just only happen to me. <G>
Jeff
PS, I realize there may be some HVAC systems which don't conform to the above scenario, but they sure aren't in the majority around here.
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Heh.
Do you have any tips for properly instructing a user of a vehicle with an automatic climate control system?
I *hate* getting in my old Porsche and driving along merrily and then suddenly realizing that I'm sweating my cojones off. Takes me a while to realize that the "thermostat" has been cranked up to some ungodly temp. because when I was driving the car daily I think I maybe touched the control twice a year...
nate

I drove my brother's car for two days last week and he has automatic cc. It was 70 degrees out, and I opened the windows, but I still wanted air from the blower vents. But afaik, I had no way to set the air temp like I can do with my simple non-auto heater.
Is there a way to do that. He has a Lincoln.
mm wrote: ...

Specifically on FMCo products I don't know but GM/Chrysler have a pretty simple/intuitive interface to set the desired temp w/ a manual/auto override function...