Tumbled (Unfilled) Travertine grout question

I have just finished a travertine backsplash on new kitchen. It has many unfilled indentations which add lots of character to its look. What is the best way to grout this stone without getting grout into the indentations?

I asked the granite installer and he said just grout and fill the holes but that's not the look I want. Glad I didn't have him do the backsplash. I'm thinking a grout bag or use my fingers.

Any good ideas???

Thanks RV

Reply to
Evo

Even if you use a grout bag or your finger, when you sponge the excess grout off, how do you plan on not getting grout or residue into the holes?

Just spread the grout normally with a rubber float and sponge it off normally, then right-way go back and rub the tile surface strongly with a damp sponge, removing as much out of the holes as you can. When you're done grouting you can pick at the holes all you want with a sharp pointy object if you have all day.

You may not have agreed with your granite installer, but if you find a way to grout your tiles and not get anything into the holes, and you actually do it and achieve it, let us know so we can learn something new.

thetiler

Evo wrote:

Reply to
thetiler

I will, but not getting many replies from this post, thinking about an empty caulking container if one can be found.

Reply to
Evo