Tub /Shower Diverter banging.

I hear a banging when I turn on my tub tap. It's a Price Phister model installed in 1996 (by me). The noise occurs at the diverter when the tub fawcett is on.. and stops when I pull the fawcett nozzle diver to send the water to the shower. I've changed the washers for it once but it didn't seem to help.
Scott.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-fix-pipes5.htm http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/PipeNoises.htm http://www.lmnoeng.com/WaterHammer/WaterHammer.htm http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-water-hammer.htm http://www.plastomatic.com/water-hammer.html http://www.ehow.com/how_18170_eliminate-water-hammer.html http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html -----
- gpsman

Very helpful.. thankyou.