Trying to decide which way to lay laminate wood flooring

I have a small problem. I'm going to install laminate flooring in my living room, hallway, bedroom, stairs and entryway. The largest room is the living room which is rectangular. The light in that room also falls "lengthwise" from a sliding glass door at either end. So far, it seems like a no-brainer - the flooring should be run lengthwise in that room, parallel with the longest wall and the light source. The problem is that my staircase runs in that same direction. Does the direction of my staircase preempt all other considerations when deciding which direction to lay the floor? I think it will look odd if all of the flooring runs one way and the flooring on the stairs runs the other. Anyone run into this situation before? What did you do and how did it turn out?
-ryan

With hardwood flooring, it was common practice to run it perpendicular to the floor joists for mailing. Laminate frees you to do what looks best for your situation. Lay out a few boards and see what it looks like to you.
I think it will look odd if all of the flooring runs one way and the flooring on the stairs runs the other.
You have the right idea. I think it will look fine.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It won't if you carpet the stairs.

I considered that, but there will be wood at the top of the stairs and wood at the bottom. Carpet on the stairs seems weird. I am going to have a runner, though...