Troubling fuse problem

Page 2 of 2

its hard to find homeowners insurance if you have fuses. so a upgrade to breaker with main service is a good idea. talking heavy fixed loads off regular circuits is also a good move
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How do you get them to listen? ;-)
. taking heavy fixed loads

yeah typon time

in some fuseboxes i have seen there is a fuse for the hot wire and a separate fuse for the common wire. power to an appliance or lamp can fail depending on how it was wired, and what connections and devices are worn/old/loose. perhaps the lamp was still lit by hot to earth ground, when the dishwasher had blown only its common fuse. inspect also the cartridge fuses on the main and range disconnects.
dgk wrote:

The guy I bought the house from was an electrical engineer of some kind. I'll give him a call and ask if he remembers anything about the way the fuses work.
buffalobill wrote:

Surely that must violate code.
power to an appliance or lamp can

CJT wrote:

It does now (but existing is probably grand fathered). I've seen it in a 30A service with knob and tube wiring.
-- bud--