Troubleshooting Electrical Outlet

Page 2 of 2
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Digital multimeters can give misleading readings due to their high input impedance. Capacitive coupling from adjacent wires can cause so-called "ghost voltages" to appear in wires that are not connected to a power source. A low-impedance voltage tester, such as a test light or a Wiggy, will draw enough current to eliminate these "ghost voltages."
--
-- Steve

Buy good multimeters (Fluke works) and many nightmares disappear. I have many from my previous life/occupation and they have served me well. The cheap ones will ultimately lead you astray and are not worth the "powder to blow them up"....Happy New Year to All....Mac
Ross Mac wrote:

This is generally good advice but won't solve the problem of "ghost voltage" measurements. High input impedance is, for most purposes, a desirable characteristic in a meter to keep from loading the circuit under test. However, low impedance is needed to determine whether a power circuit is really energized or just capacitively coupled to an adjoining wire. This is one job where a relatively inexpensive electrical tester can outperform an expensive meter. (I am not talking about the $2.99 Harbor Freight meter here, but testers such as Klein's Wiggy, Ideal's Vol-Con, or Fluke's 7-600.)
--
-- Steve

True!
This is one job where a relatively

Also true!
(I am not talking about the $2.99 Harbor Freight

True, and that's a relief! So many posts about that meter/door stop. I usually pay more than $2.99 for a good set of test leads.
but testers such as Klein's Wiggy, Ideal's

Good suggestion.....Mac