Troubleshooting a digital thermostat

Page 2 of 2

Hook it up like its intended to be, and with power off, jump it or power it wrong and it will be trash.

Can you hear it operate? Mine has a sort of electrically operated switch rather than solid state or relay type to reduce battery consumption and are clearly audible when they make or break. It also only operates when in its housing so to test you'd need to bring out wires from that to connect to a DVM.
--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*