Travertine Pavers in a sand bed?

Does anyone have any experience with travertine pavers laid in a 1" sand bed over compacted gravel in a mid-atlantic type climate? The reasons I want to do this type of install are because I already graded and compacted 1,500 sq ft of gravel where I was going to put concrete pavers, and because I am concerned about the freezing/thawing that occurs during the winters here in New Jersey. The concrete pavers are just getting too hot in the sun, and I found a couple of places selling 1-1/4" travertine pavers that I thought would stay much coolor in direct sunlight.